none
PR_USER_X509_CERTIFICATE extra data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to import an outlook PST file to my application running on Mac OS X. The PST file consists of contacts created in Outlook. The contacts have X509 certificates added to them.

The problem I am facing is ASN decoding of the certificate fails.

I have read somewhere that there is extra data before and after the certificate referred by PR_USER_X509_CERTIFICATE in the PST file.

Can someone please tell me how to parse this information correctly.

Thanks a lot

Regards, Mark

• Moved by Yi Feng Li Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:57 AM pst file issue (From:Visual C++ General)
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:32 PM

Answers

• Mark,

Is the PR_USER_X509_CERTIFICATE (PtypMultipleBinary) property instance you're working with stored in the non-ASN.1 binary value format?   If so, this could be causing your decoding to fail.  If you haven't already determined this, you can find out by looking at the first byte of the binary value for the certificate in question.  If it's not 0x30, then you're looking at a non-ASN.1 DER BLOB and you need to use [MS-OXOABK] section 2.2.4.66 to parse the data.  Otherwise, it should conform to RFC 3852. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

• Marked as answer by Tom Jebo MSFT Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi allug,

I am moving this thread from Base on “Visual C++ General" forum to the “Office File Formats” forum, since the issue is related to outlook PST. There are more experts in the "Office File Formats" forum.

Cheers

Yi Feng Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Mark,

One of our engineers will follow-up with you shortly in regards to your question.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Dominic Michael Salemno Senior Support Escalation Engineer US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue.  I'll get back to you shortly.

Best regards,

Tom Jebo

Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Mark,

Is the PR_USER_X509_CERTIFICATE (PtypMultipleBinary) property instance you're working with stored in the non-ASN.1 binary value format?   If so, this could be causing your decoding to fail.  If you haven't already determined this, you can find out by looking at the first byte of the binary value for the certificate in question.  If it's not 0x30, then you're looking at a non-ASN.1 DER BLOB and you need to use [MS-OXOABK] section 2.2.4.66 to parse the data.  Otherwise, it should conform to RFC 3852. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo

• Marked as answer by Tom Jebo MSFT Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:44 PM