Infopath Filler Forms - confusion about SharePoint behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks for looking at this.

I was helping a friend (my wife--does that make her a FWB?) with a question and was hoping someone could explain what I am missing as I am stuck. I'm relatively new to sharepoint/infopath and there is a bit of a learning curve:-)

What she would like to do is place a link (or button) on a user landing page allowing the user to create a new copy of Form X (and submit through a button on the Form). Form X is an Infopath Filler Form.

The form's functionality works fine from the Add Document link in the SharePoint Form X library. 

We created a web parts page as the basis for the landing page and looked for a web part to do this.  Apparently, nothing oob.  So then we tried adding the webpart generated for the Form X library with the idea of modifying its view/appearance.

However, the "add new item" for the webpart gives an upload control rather than opening the new form in  infopath --- as is the behavior from inside the library.  BTW, clicking existing documents gives the expected behavior -- opening them in infopath.

1) is this the correct behavior for the library webpart?  Or are we simple missing a setting?

2) Is there a simple way to add a button/link to make it simple for a user to create a new form without being inside the library?

BTW -- I am set up with Infopath 2010/SharePoint 2010 but her production environment is InfoPath 2007/SharePoint 2010, if it makes a difference.

Thanks to all again

-glenn

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

When add a document on the All Items page of the form library ,the link points to the add new item page. But when you add the form library in a data view web part ,the Add Document link points to the Upload page .You can get the href for the links using the F12 development Tool in IE .

You can add a content query web part on the landing page to hold a button and open the form in InfoPath .Here are the detailed steps:

1. Open the landing page in browser and choose Site Actions>Edit Page  .
    2. Add a content editor web part on the page .Click in the web part and choose HTML source in the ribbon to add the HTML source .
    3. Add these code in the window .

<script type="text/vbscript" language="vbscript"> 

Dim urlLibrary 

Dim urlTemplate 

urlLibrary = "http://servername/libraryname/Forms"

urlTemplate = urlLibrary + "/template.xsn"

Sub CreateNewInfoPathDocument 

dim objOpenXMLDocuments 

set objOpenXMLDocuments = Createobject("SharePoint.OpenXMLDocuments") 

objOpenXMLDocuments.CreateNewDocument2 window, urlTemplate, urlLibrary 

End Sub 

</script> 

<button onclick="CreateNewInfoPathDocument()">Create New</button>

You need to change the urlLibrary and urlTemplate  .

For more information ,please refer to this site:

Open InfoPath form on button click: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/sharepointinfopath/thread/6238420f-48bc-4e5a-9c58-9b0451a4e6f2

Thanks

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Entan Ming Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Entan Ming Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:30 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:12 AM