none
Visual Studio Community 2015 Issue

Question

• I installed Visual Studio community 2015, about a month ago. Now I moved to California from North Carolina. When I open visual studio today for first time in California, it says following error:

"Your license has gone stale and must be updated. Please make sure the internet is connected, then check for an updated license to continue using this product."

When I click "Check for an updated license", it says the following:

"We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings".

QUESTIONS

1. I downloaded Visual Studio community 2015 using "Visual Studio Dev Essentials". Is it only for 30 day trail. Is there a way to use this without making a payment, for my individual learning purpose?

2. If there is no way to continue it's use without payment, what is the next best option without payment? Is there any express edition available (that does not have trial period)?

Monday, January 2, 2017 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi LijoCheeran,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Visual Studio Community 2015 is a totally free edition.

Based on your description, you’ll just need login VS with your Microsoft account when your network is connected and it will work.

Please give it a try and have a good time.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Even though Visual Studio community editions are free they all require an activation which is logging on with visual studio via your MSDN account. And if that is not performed within 30 days of installing it then you will receive the message that appeared.

Please see Visual Studio Frequently Asked Questions and select "Q: Community Edition is telling me my trial has expired. Do I have to pay for Community edition?".

As far as your "We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings" message that is a different issue altogether. There could be various reasons that may be occuring including this possibility Visual Studio 2015 Community License Expired so you may need to search the net about that to read about that to find what possibly the issue for that is. Or search this Forum for results on that. This link https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=firstpostdesc&searchTerm=%22proxy%20settings%22 may have some results to assist you.

La vida loca

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:59 AM
  • Thanks for Mr. Monkeyboy's help.

Hi LijoCheeran,

Any update? What about this issue?

>>"We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings".

IE or the network or the third party security software is the directory I could think of since I also met this kind of issue before. So please check it as the link provided by Monkeyboy, and share us the latest information:)

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:15 AM