Send meeting invite from SharePoint calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I need to automatically sent a meeting invite when user creates an event in SharePoint 2010 calendar.

One alternative I found is to dynamically create iCalendar payload (Format: VCALENDAR) and send it to all attendees. This works fine for us but we are now facing an issue with updating recurring event.

So I wondering if there is any native implementation in SharePoint to send meeting invite.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:37 PM

Answers

• There is non that I've found.

Here is a codeplex project that does it.  I've taken some of his code and modified it to suit my purposes (I did this exact task a few months ago for a project) and it's been working for me so far.

• Marked as answer by Firoz A Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:04 PM

All replies

• There is non that I've found.

Here is a codeplex project that does it.  I've taken some of his code and modified it to suit my purposes (I did this exact task a few months ago for a project) and it's been working for me so far.

• Marked as answer by Firoz A Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Thanks servy for reply. I will take a look into this project.

I am kind a surprise that SharePoint 2010 don't provide native implementation of sending meeting invites as it is basic requirement companies expect from any shared calendar.

Once again appreciate your help.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:23 PM
  • No problem.  I also would have expected this functionality to be easier, since both formats support exactly the same functionality (you cannot express any method of recurrence in one and not the other).  But because they store the info so differently I just found this code and re-used it rather than writing it myself.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Servy, Do you find any issue with updating recurring events using this VCalendar code? Look like it has same issue; Outlook still not showing Accept/Decline button if you resend VCalendar email with modified field (for example: modified meeting start end).
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Servy, Do you find any issue with updating recurring events using this VCalendar code? Look like it has same issue; Outlook still not showing Accept/Decline button if you resend VCalendar email with modified field (for example: modified meeting start end).

I was able to deal with updating recurring events, yes, although I didn't deal with the whole exception mess (where for example one instance of the recurring event is cancelled or at another time).

For updating in general there is just a different command that is sent (I forget off hand exactly what changed) but I know that I didn't need to handle updates vs. creates any differently in recurring events than I did with non-recurring events.

The major modification that I made to the code was with respect to timezones.  

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:34 PM