none
ServiceBus Queues REST API maximal receive timeout value RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know what is actual maximal timeout for Service bus Queues long polling request? According to documentation I was able to dig it is as long as 24 days. However, in reality, not matter how high timeout I try to set up, I receive 204 answer code(No messages available within the specified timeout period.) after approx 50 seconds. I'm using node-azure-sdk to access the service.
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any other application or service access this ServiceBus queue (or can you make sure the message has been stored in ServiceBus Queue successfully)? ServiceBus queue messages can be accessed only once, I've test this situation, ServiceBus Queue message works fine at my side until access them.

BR,

Arwind

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Hello,

no, I'm using single process to access the Service Bus queue, just for testing purpose.

This is JavaScript code I'm using:

var serviceBusService = azure.createServiceBusService();

serviceBusService.receiveQueueMessage('taskqueue', { timeoutIntervalInS: 2000 }, function(error, serverMessage){
        if(error){
           console.log(error);
           return;
        } 

console.log(serverMessage);
    });

The code returns 'No messages to receive'(response status code 204) after approx. 50 seconds. I tried that on local machine and on Azure VM, with the same result

Monday, August 6, 2012 10:51 AM
  • I also checked what happens on the HTTP level, actual REST API request, and it seems to be correct, passing proper 2000 seconds timeout value.
    Monday, August 6, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you use Fiddler 2 to capture the request, and see if Fiddler get 200 but Node.js report 204 status code, if so, try to check your Node.js SDK version is correct.

BR,

Arwind

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:03 AM
  • well, as I stated just above, I already checked what happens on HTTP level. The 204 response code is returned by Service Bus after ~50 seconds. Basically the service is not working as described in documentation. It's not a problem to issue new polling request, I just wanting to check is this is an error or correct behavior.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:08 PM