Windows Store app compatible cameras related issues

Question

• I have just learned something after spending hours investigating it.  I hope my following understanding is correct:

Windows 8 compatible webcams are not necessarily compatible with Windows Store apps.  It appears that most of the current Windows 8 compatible webcams are not compatible with Windows Store apps.  This means they can be used only by desktop apps, not Windows Store apps.

I have the following two questions:

1. How can an app test whether a webcam is Windows Store app compatible. For example, an app can detect Creative VF0490 webcam and retrieve its properties, but CapturePhotoToStreamAsync() will hang on this camera.  Other Windows Store apps such as the Camera app, Windows Store version of Skype cannot get anything from this camera either.  However, desktop apps (e.g. the desktop version of Skype) work with this camera flawlessly?
    2. How can one tell which webcams are Windows Store app compatible without testing them.  This is a very practical question.  If I want to buy a webcam to work with some Windows Store apps, which spec of the camera should I look at to tell me whether it is compatible with Windows Store apps?

Any tip will be greatly appreciated.

Hong

Thursday, February 06, 2014 6:33 PM

All replies