AVISaveOptions dialog displays incorrectly in Windows 7 with Arabic display language RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that uses the AVIFile API to create an AVI file and I recently received a bug request relating to the AVISaveOptions dialog. 

When the application is run on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) with the Arabic language pack installed and the display language set to Arabic, the AVISaveOptions dialog is displayed incorrectly. Only the far left hand side of the dialog is shown.  

Our original call to AVISaveOptions:
    if (!AVISaveOptions(NULL, 0, 1, &m_pStream, (LPAVICOMPRESSOPTIONS FAR *) &aopts))
    {
    	AVISaveOptionsFree(1,(LPAVICOMPRESSOPTIONS FAR *) &aopts);
    	return S_FALSE;
    }

However, if the uiFlags argument is set to ICMF_CHOOSE_PREVIEW the dialog displays as expected. This is not an ideal solution as we do not wish to have the preview functionality available. Setting the uiFlags argument to either ICMF_CHOOSE_KEYFRAME or ICMF_CHOOSE_DATARATE results in the same distorted dialog being displayed.

Are there any other workarounds for this that don't involve having a preview available on the AVISaveOptions dialog?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    • Moved by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:38 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:53 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your reply.

For some time now the AVISaveOptions dialog has been working successfully when the application is run on an English set-up. However, there is a requirement for the application to also support Arabic, and so it is important that the dialog is displayed correctly when the Arabic display language is selected in Windows 7. 

Do you know if there are any plans to improve the AVIFile API to support localization?

Many thanks

Monday, February 28, 2011 2:14 PM
  •  

Hello,

I think your issue should be raised in the Media Foundation Development forum I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:37 AM
  • AVIFile is a deprecated API and there are no planned improvements to it.  The only updates to it will be critical security fixes.  DirectShow (also an API with no planned improvements) supports writing AVI files.  It does not have its own configuration UI.  You would need to compose your own UI for configuration, which could be language neutral, or just use reasonable defaults.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:23 PM