none
Reminder popups - emulating old Outlook 2000 behaviour where reminders come in indivual boxes? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been one of those very long-time Outlook users that still misses features in Outlook 2000 - because they worked!  Like the days when popup windows were individual and not all lumped in together, as one example.  Yes, I do understand the appeal of having them all in one but when you have a gazillion reminders/popups, contrary to what you might think, it's easier to deal with and control individual boxes.

Is there a way to overcome what became, to me, a weakness in Outlook?

Can we somehow do something that will have reminders popup in their own windows again.  Or is there a way to help signal important messages for folks that already have a lot of reminder popups without using forms (no experience with those) or without using a script that will lock up Outlook until you click an OK button?  I did find an easy script but it halts all Outlook functions until you press that button.  It is just not a viable solution.

Thank you for your kind in advance!

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:48 PM

Answers

• There is no trivial way to get the job done.

You need to supress the built-in reminder window and show your own window. You may find the following Reminders' events helpful:

BeforeReminderShow - it is fired before the Reminder dialog box is displayed. The Cancel parameter allows to cancel the event. There is no info about the event. You need to find it manually.

ReminderFire - it is fired before the reminder is executed. An instance of the Reminder object that has been executed is passed as a parameter.

The Application class provides the Reminder event which is fired immediately before a reminder is displayed. The AppointmentItem, MailItem, ContactItem, or TaskItem associated with the reminder is passed as a parameter.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:08 AM

All replies

You need to supress the built-in reminder window and show your own window. You may find the following Reminders' events helpful:

BeforeReminderShow - it is fired before the Reminder dialog box is displayed. The Cancel parameter allows to cancel the event. There is no info about the event. You need to find it manually.

ReminderFire - it is fired before the reminder is executed. An instance of the Reminder object that has been executed is passed as a parameter.

The Application class provides the Reminder event which is fired immediately before a reminder is displayed. The AppointmentItem, MailItem, ContactItem, or TaskItem associated with the reminder is passed as a parameter.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:08 AM
  • Hi SGFan,

What’s version of your outlook? For outlook 2013, the reminders are in a pop-up window.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:01 AM
  • Starain,

Try to re-read the initial post anew. Pay special attention to the following sentence:

> Like the days when popup windows were individual and not all lumped in together

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:11 AM

Thank you, Eugene!!  A lot of this is Chinese to me so it's time to go studying!  I'm only a power user!  But thanks.  At least there seems to be something we can do to get back some old behaviour as you outright didn't say it couldn't be done <lol>.

I'll report back.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:23 PM