none
Pointer to structure with array of structures RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm having issues with the following interop code:

I'm wrapping the following function:

typedef int     (__stdcall *GetBlah)(Blah*  blah,BlahString* symbol/*=0*/);

"Blah" is defined as the same structure like in the corresponding header file

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Explicit, CharSet = CharSet.Ansi, Size = 248)]

internal struct Blah

{

[FieldOffset(0)]

internal ushort A;

[FieldOffset(2)]

internal byte B;

[FieldOffset(3)]

[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.ByValArray, SizeConst = 12)]

internal ManagedStructure[] Items;

};

The problem I'm having is that "GetBlah" expects a pointer to a "Blah" instance but when I try to instantiate a new "Blah" instance and create a pointer I get:

"Cannot take the address of, get the size of, or declare a pointer to a managed type"

So, how can I pass a pointer to that function when I'm not able to create a pointer of that structure?

Thanks,

Tom

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:17 PM

Answers

• You'd let the P/Invoke marshaler automatically pass a pointer by declaring the function pointer like this:

private delegate void GetBlah(ref Blah blah, string symbol);

There is a show-stopper problem with your declaration of the Blah structure though.  The marshaler won't allow you to declare the Items array at offset 3.  You'll get a TypeLoadException as soon as you try to reference the type.  The normal offset for this member would be 4, unless you used #pragma pack(1) in the native code.

If you can't modify the native code, you'll have to marshal the structure yourself.  Something like this:

private delegate void GetBlah(IntPtr blah, string symbol);
          IntPtr blahPtr = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(248);
          blahImpl(blahPtr, "nobugz");
          BlahManaged myBlah = new BlahManaged();
          myBlah.A = (ushort)Marshal.ReadInt16(blahPtr, 0);
          myBlah.B = Marshal.ReadByte(blahPtr, 2);
          myBlah.Items = new ManagedStructure[12];
          for (int ix = 0; ix < 12; ++ix) {
            // As above for members of ManagedStructure.  For example:
            myBlah.Items[ix].field1 = Marshal.ReadInt32(blahPtr, 3 + ix * Marshal.SizeOf(typeof(ManagedStructure)));
          }
          Marshal.FreeHGlobal(blahPtr);

Also check the actual size of unmanaged Blah structure.  248 can't be right if the array starts at offset 3.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:06 PM

All replies

• If you declare the struct in an unsafe context, you can create a pointer to it, take its address, and do all the usual pointer stuff. You can search MSDN for the C# unsafe keyword. Here's a link to a tutorial on unsafe code http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288474(VS.71).aspx.

Hope this is helpful!

Mark

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:19 AM
  •  

Hi Mark,

unfortunately this is not the issue here as the whole class is marked as unsafe.

The issue is that I have an array of managed structures in the "Blah" structure. If I remove:

[FieldOffset(3)]

[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.ByValArray, SizeConst = 12)]

internal ManagedStructure[] Items;

... from the struct, I declare a pointer to the "Blah" struct just fine.

Regards,

Tom

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:14 PM
  • You'd let the P/Invoke marshaler automatically pass a pointer by declaring the function pointer like this:

private delegate void GetBlah(ref Blah blah, string symbol);

There is a show-stopper problem with your declaration of the Blah structure though.  The marshaler won't allow you to declare the Items array at offset 3.  You'll get a TypeLoadException as soon as you try to reference the type.  The normal offset for this member would be 4, unless you used #pragma pack(1) in the native code.

If you can't modify the native code, you'll have to marshal the structure yourself.  Something like this:

private delegate void GetBlah(IntPtr blah, string symbol);
          IntPtr blahPtr = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(248);
          blahImpl(blahPtr, "nobugz");
          BlahManaged myBlah = new BlahManaged();
          myBlah.A = (ushort)Marshal.ReadInt16(blahPtr, 0);
          myBlah.B = Marshal.ReadByte(blahPtr, 2);
          myBlah.Items = new ManagedStructure[12];
          for (int ix = 0; ix < 12; ++ix) {
            // As above for members of ManagedStructure.  For example:
            myBlah.Items[ix].field1 = Marshal.ReadInt32(blahPtr, 3 + ix * Marshal.SizeOf(typeof(ManagedStructure)));
          }
          Marshal.FreeHGlobal(blahPtr);

Also check the actual size of unmanaged Blah structure.  248 can't be right if the array starts at offset 3.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Thanks nobugz, private delegate void GetBlah(ref Blah blah, string symbol); worked perfectly.

The offset was actually at 8, I just screwed it up in the sample I posted here.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:20 PM