Wish list:

Question

• Here are a few of my wish list items:

cut scene support.
    rpg features like inventory, save / load game,
    ability to send information to a server and /or get info back
    png/jpg image support.
    sprite sheet support (upload a sprite sheet - but only use a small part of it as a mask)
    a custom script library that can be added on the fly via the UI.
    stats on a game (like sproutbuilder)
    see the inheritance tree of  a game
    particle effects - smoke/fire

my main wish is in bold type...

Friday, May 09, 2008 7:23 AM

Answers

• Oh yeah, rip/tweak tracking is something we kick around here a lot.  It's great to hear from people that this is something that they're interested in since that helps us prioritize things.  Thanks for the feedback, we'll try to get a sticky post up soon for people to leave feature requests.  Apparently I don't have "sticky" making power although I think Suzanne does.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Whisperstorem.  Great List!

There's actually already support for several of your asks in the current release:

png/jpg support: http://www.popflywiki.com/GameCreatorUsingUploadedFiles.ashx

particle effects like smoke and fire - we actually support both XAML animations and regular old video which can create these effects although the main thing that's provided as part of the built in artwork is explosions. 

Cut scenes can be done by just creating a scene and either using actors without any input events or filtering input events from your actors for just those scenes. 

Being able to persist data (save / load) is actually on our already large list of items we'd like to look at, but no current support (sorry).  I think I may do a blog post in the not too distant future on creating an inventory with the existing release, but since that will probably be fairly complex, I think it's a good idea to have something more concrete built in (although I'm not sure if or when we'll get to it).  I've filed a work item to consider it in the future just so we can remember it. 

I'm not sure what you mean by a custom script library - do you mean like saveable behaviors / custom code?  Also, what do you mean by "the inheritance tree of a game"?

Friday, May 09, 2008 11:02 PM
  • The image support is cool, I imagine once you get to beta you'll allow pngs to load w/o forcing the developer to tweak xaml.
    With particle effects I mean particles that bounce and move based on the motion of an emitter.. or bounce off walls, etc. Not just a canned animation. Perhaps you already have this? I havent encountered it

A custom script library would be just like you have custom actors. These would be sourcecode listings that you could paste into the actions of a given element. - You are already seeing some of this with those snippets of xaml code to embed pngs, etc.

Inheritance tree means the chain of folks who took a game and modified it. To see the original game and all the intermediate steps that have evolved the game would be very interesting.  So say I creat game 1 and someone derives game 2 off of that, etc etc. I want to see game 1, 2, 3 etc in the "chain".

Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:32 AM
  • Oh yeah, rip/tweak tracking is something we kick around here a lot.  It's great to hear from people that this is something that they're interested in since that helps us prioritize things.  Thanks for the feedback, we'll try to get a sticky post up soon for people to leave feature requests.  Apparently I don't have "sticky" making power although I think Suzanne does.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:19 AM