none
Evaluation of Windows Embedded CE R3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Win Emb Standard 7 on a desktop to evaluate for an embedded system.  This installation went well.

I am now trying to decide whether Embedded CE would be a better OS platform.  However, I can not get the downloaded install files for trial VS 2005 an trial CE to install.

I have a licensed copy of VS 2008 installed on the desktop under Embedded Std 7, but the CE trial doesn't recognize it at all and tells me I need to install VS 2005 first.

When I try to install VS 2005, I get a flash of the command prompt window and then it quickly disappears.

I'm trying to install VS 2005/CE over the Embedded Standard 7 OS.

Any suggestions?  I did first burn the VS 2005 img file to a dvd and tried to use that to install VS 2005.  No luck.

Will VS 2005 and/or CE install under Embedded Std 7 or must I re-install Win XP or Win Vista first??

Thanks for the help.  A quick reply would be very much appreciated - I'm in a time crunch here.

Hal Curling
    Boeing
    505-506-8861

bhcurling@msn.com

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:52 PM

All replies

• Most definitely, VS2005 is not supported on Embedded Std 7, even if you did manage to get it installed somehow.  So yes, reinstall XP or (Vista...really? Okay, or Vista, or better yet Windows 7) or install VS2005 on a different PC.

Here's the list of supported host operating systems for Visual Studio 2005:

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista<sup>3,4 </sup>or Windows 7.

For a 64-bit computer, the requirements are as follows:

• Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 x64 editions

• Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Tom Gensel PTG Systems, LLC
    http://www.ptgsystems.com
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Much obliged, Tom.  I certainly appreciate the help.  I have another computer that I can install VS 2005 on and try to build an evalution image for Embedded CE.

Again, thanks!

Hal

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Tom,

I did try installing VS2005 on an XP (SP3) machine and the same thing happened:  the command prompt (DOS) window pops up and immediately exits with no error/warning, etc.  I think I'm going to try to re-download the VS2005 files from the MS site, although, what I got the first time was a single .img file which I was able to burn to a DVD - that is the piece that is giving me the headaches.

Thanks for your advice - if you have any other suggestions I'd be pleased to hear them.

Hal

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Yes, it sounds like you may have a bad image or disc there.  Instead of burning DVDs, which adds an extra step and a possible point of failure, I prefer to use a virtual CD/DVD utility for installing DVDs from MSDN.  There are several available, but I use SlySoft's Virtual CloneDrive, which is Freeware.  Good luck.

Tom Gensel PTG Systems, LLC
    http://www.ptgsystems.com
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:27 PM