How do I manually update a Silverlight OOB client? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Lightswitch Silverlight client app that has been up and running for about three years now, regularly updated. Up until now, the server that housed it was in the same office as my dev machine, and thanks to a lot of help from Garth Henderson, we got it so that I could publish remotely from Visual Studio.

Now the server has been moved to another office, and I don't have the same access to it. I tried using Visual Studio as before, but it errored out when deploying, claiming that it couldn't log on to the database. I know the user name and password are correct, so I guess this must be due to lack of access to the database from outside the local network. I don't have authority to open up the database to the outside world (nor would I want to!), so it looks like this idea is out.

I tried creating a disk package, so I could copy it to the machine and deploy it manually. I tried following the instructions here, but when I selected the zipped package, I got an error...

An error occurred when performing this operation.

Details:

Could not find the provider 'LightSwitchApplication'. Please verify that you've entered the provider name correctly.

I have searched around, but not found an answer to this.

What I would really like to do is just copy over the changed files, but when I tried that, I got an error about not being able to update the app due to the installed application and update candidate differing in certificate/signature state. I think this is probably my fault, as when I was creating the disk package, I noticed that the certificate was about to expire, so I generated another. I guess I may have changed too much at once. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't help.

Anyone able to help? I really need to update this app, but can't. Thanks

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers (Silverlight client only). Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

• Edited by Mr Yossu Monday, April 27, 2015 5:18 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2015 5:17 PM

All replies

• HI Yossu,

From your description above, you can re-publish your Lightswitch application to IIS, Beth's blog provides detailed steps to do that, check Configure a Web Server to Host LightSwitch Applications for further information. 

To update the LightSwitch application, you need only re-publish it to the installation point. This should be true for all application types: web applications, desktop applications published to the web/Azure, or desktop applications run on the local machine. After each successful publish the application version is incremented.

hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:37 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I already pointed out that the app has been running here for a few years, so I don't need to configure the server, it's already configured.

What I need to know is how to do one (or both) of the following options:

1) Install the disk package via IIS, given that when I tried, I got the error message shown earlier

2) Update the app manually, meaning copying files form the disk package to the target location. I tried this, but got errors, so probably didn't copy everything correctly. I would also need to know how to make sure the new certificate is installed correctly.

If you could explain how to do this, then I would be very grateful.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers (Silverlight client only). Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:13 PM
  • Update: I discovered that if I open a VPN connection to the server, then I can (almost) publish from VS as I did before, so the question has partially been avoided.

I say partially, because when I try to publish, it copies the files correctly, but then sits there for quite a while, before giving the error...

Error 1 An exception occurred when deploying the database for the application.
    Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=42271; handshake=34; C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v1.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets 1114 10 HLReports.OfficeSystem.MainApp

Any idea what this means?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 4:34 PM
  • Hi Yossu,

>>....so probably didn't copy everything correctly.

You can retrieve diagnostic information to get the actual reason of this issue, perhaps it will some hints why it's failed when publish to IIS.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Angie Xu Monday, May 11, 2015 8:23 AM edit
    Monday, May 11, 2015 8:23 AM