Prism Usage with WPF/MVVM RRS feed

• Question

• We are developing enterprise level application in WPF. WPF application will communicate with BLL/DAL through WCF. We would like to use MVVM using Prism in WPF(i.e. in UI layer). Kindly enlighten us on Prism's applicability and its advantages/disadvantages over other MVVM framework.

Your timely help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:48 PM

Answers

• Kindly enlighten us on Prism's applicability and its advantages/disadvantages over other MVVM framework.

Hi,

first of all let me tell you that Prism is not an MVVM framework. MVVM is one design pattern and Prism is another one. sometimes we marry these to to achieve certain goals, like designer and coder seperation (MVVM) and Modularity (Prism). how ever there is some frameworks which supports both prism and mvvm. http://cinch.codeplex.com is one of them.

mark my post as answer if my post was usefull to you
    • Proposed as answer by Yves.Z Friday, January 21, 2011 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yves.Z Monday, January 31, 2011 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

use prism if your application is :

1. Need to integrate additional functionalities very often (prism will help you to integrate these like a plugin model)
    2. Need to load modules in specific areas (U can use the Prism Regions, eg: when you are loading menus from plugged in modules)
    3. If your developers are scattered around different cities

Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:22 AM
  •  

We are marking this issue as "Answered". If you have any new findings or concerns, please feel free to unmark the issue.

Best regards

Yves Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by S.Kumars Monday, January 31, 2011 4:00 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Kumars,

follow this thread

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1409553/what-framework-for-mvvm-should-i-use

there is a huge discussion going on in this above thread.

so better take a look at it.

Best of luck.

Md. Masudur Rahman
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Kindly enlighten us on Prism's applicability and its advantages/disadvantages over other MVVM framework.

Hi,

first of all let me tell you that Prism is not an MVVM framework. MVVM is one design pattern and Prism is another one. sometimes we marry these to to achieve certain goals, like designer and coder seperation (MVVM) and Modularity (Prism). how ever there is some frameworks which supports both prism and mvvm. http://cinch.codeplex.com is one of them.

• Proposed as answer by Yves.Z Friday, January 21, 2011 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi Vilsad

Thanks for the response.

We are working on an enterprise level application and interested to use MVVM & PRISM in our WPF application.  Can you please provide us information regarding its pros/ cons and performace/ development issues that could occur later on? Or any other better approach you want to suggest, with which we should move further.

Your timely help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

use prism if your application is :

1. Need to integrate additional functionalities very often (prism will help you to integrate these like a plugin model)
    2. Need to load modules in specific areas (U can use the Prism Regions, eg: when you are loading menus from plugged in modules)
    3. If your developers are scattered around different cities

Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:22 AM
  •  

We are marking this issue as "Answered". If you have any new findings or concerns, please feel free to unmark the issue.

Best regards

Yves Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by S.Kumars Monday, January 31, 2011 4:00 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:30 AM