Does Windows Server 2008/IIS7 Support COM+ (CLB) load balancing? RRS feed

• Question

• User2112928706 posted

I've been working with a client who has a middle-tier application they run on Windows 2003 and IIS with a SQL backend.  They host clients which each have a site on one of their IIS servers and each run an instance of their application (which uses multiple application pools per site).  This application is mostly written in classic ASP and newer functions written in ASP.net.  They have only been able to run 60 or so sites per IIS server, or else their application pools start recycling.

I've been looking into solutions for them and found some good stuff about COM+ load balancing (w/NLB or IP load balancing on the front end), Microsoft Application Server 2000, and possibly running Windows Server x64 bit.  Also, all information I have read on 2008 server doens't mention Component Load Balancing...only NLB and Failover clustering.

Does anyone know what technologies will be available with 2008/IIS7 that may address these issues.  Or even any information on attacking these issues with 2003?  Also, anyone know anything about 'Windows DNA'.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Josh

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers

• User1073881637 posted

CLB and COM+ load-balancing was a feature of Application Center, which was deployable on W2k3 I believe.   It was real popular in IIS 5 I know, I've not seen anything with regards to CLB, COM+ load-balancing, App Center on W2k8.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:21 AM