none
How to Run Access program with VBA in a Web Browser? RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this done, but not sure how it was done. I would like to run my MS Access App in a web browser. What I've seen is the actual program running inside of a web browser but it wasn't Access Web version, it was just like the application running on a VM or something.

Does anyone have any info on how to do this? We have an Azure account, and VMs, but If this is something like a specific Web App running in IIS on a VM that lets you run an application in a browser on the Internet, I would need good instructions or tutorial documentation on how to do it if they exist.
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:07 PM

All replies

• I haven't seen it done but the only possibility I could think of is by using a web version of a telnet client to log on to the remote computer. Just my 2 cents...
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:45 PM
  • The only thing I've used Telnet for was to play MUDs as a youth. And that was just a telnet client. Not sure how to implement what your talking about.
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:01 PM
  • Well, it was just a thought. I Googled it and found about fTelnet at https://www.ftelnet.ca

Not sure if it's the answer to your question though.

Hope it helps...

Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Yes this can be done. There is/are several ways. The most common for many years was to run what is called remote desktop. Normally all versions of windows ship with the remote desktop client, but you CAN run the RDP client in a web browser. However this would result in a windows only browser result (the ActiveX “RDP” control has to be installed on that client computer - it is a windows only program).

However, now RDP to HTML5 bridges exist. What this means is that you can render any windows desktop in a standard web browser without having to install anything except a web browser. As long as the web browser is HTML5 compliment, then you can display + run that windows desktop in any web browser – including a smartphone or iPad.

The above technology thus includes of course running the full Access version in a web browser.

So the required technology is:
    A server running terminal services
    A client computer with windows ActiveX RDP client + web browsers

**OR**

A server running a RDP to HTML5 Bridge, and thus any web browser can run (view) that windows desktop – including Access programs.

So it not clear if that web browser had a RDP ActiveX control, or that the server was running a RDP to HTML5 bridge – but either solution would result in you having seen Access desktop programs run in a browser – in fact you may well have seen “any” windows program run in that web browser since this approach is not limited to Access.

So yes, technology exists today that allows one to run windows desktop programs 100% in a browser – and run in near any “standard” browser that supports HTML5 (which is quite much everything today).

There are even free open source HTML5 bridges for remote desktop these days such as this one:

http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Maybe Access was installed on a server machine.  That's about all I can think of.  You login and hit the server, and run your processes there.  VBA will not work in a web-based setup, like SharePoint, or anything web-based, for that matter. 

MY BOOK

Friday, February 24, 2017 1:32 AM
  • Hi HTHP,

I did not see anything before.

so I try to search regarding this topic.

I find some links may give you some information.

I don't know whether it is capable to run MS Access but they are saying that they can run windows programs in web browser. so you can have a look.

Power RDP – Run your Access Database in any Web Browser

EQL Access OnWeb

Frame: Run Any Software in a Browser

How to run Windows programs in a browser tab for free

Run Windows Programs from Any Browser & Access Your Files on the Go

Take Your Desktop Application to the Web in 15 Minutes

Note:- the solution mentioned in the links are paid versions.

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 2:53 AM