Connecting to non-WiFi Direct device

Question

• The WiFi Direct spec allows backwards compatibility, that is it allows for a WiFi Direct device to connect to a "legacy" WiFi device, does Win8 support this functionality? If so, how do I go about doing this? I'm somewhat familiar with the Proximity namespace and PeerFinder and all that good stuff, but that all seems to be dependent on two WiFi Direct devices connecting.
    Friday, September 07, 2012 8:35 PM

Answers

• The short answer is no. There is nothing exposed to Windows Store apps that would allow you to initiate a WiFi connection between a Windows 8 device and a legacy device if they were not already connected manually through an access point.

-Mike [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Mike L [MSFT] Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by NokItOff Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:59 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:44 AM

All replies

• I will look into this for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Thanks, I would greatly appreciate it. This has been holding us back a bit.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:43 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand the question. Proximity is not limited to WiFi Direct, the PeerFinder will use infrastructure WiFi as well as Bluetooth to setup a socket between two apps.

In terms of WiFi Direct support on legacy WiFi hardware, it is likely that many existing WiFi cards will support WiFi Direct in the near future. For many devices they merely require an updated driver from the hardware vendor.

-Mike [MSFT]

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:08 AM
  • Hi Mike, I appreciate your response but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question.

I'm aware that Proximity allows connecting through a WiFi network and over Bluetooth, my questions is specifically about the device-to-device connection over WiFi. WiFi Direct supports this scenario because one device will just act as an Access Point and the other will connect to it as it does to any other AP. So that second device doesn't need to support WiFi Direct. If I was able to get the Soft AP information (i.e. SSID and Key) then I could code it myself but as far as I can tell that information isn't available to us. Or is it? If not, does Win8 automate this process?

Again, I'm specifically concerned about the device-to-device connection over WiFi where one device supports WiFi Direct and the other doesn't. Connecting over infrastructure WiFi is fine IFF both devices are connected to the same WiFi network but WiFi networks aren't always available and even if they are it's not guaranteed that both devices will have access. Connecting over Bluetooth would work when there aren't WiFi networks around, but Bluetooth connections are rather slow and aren't suited for transferring large amounts of data like WiFi is.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:18 PM
  • The short answer is no. There is nothing exposed to Windows Store apps that would allow you to initiate a WiFi connection between a Windows 8 device and a legacy device if they were not already connected manually through an access point.

-Mike [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Mike L [MSFT] Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by NokItOff Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:59 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:44 AM
  • hi ,

can we able to connect two non wi-fi direct supporting device via wi-fi i mean if bith the devices are connected to same AP.

Any hint would be highly appreciated! Thank you all.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:43 AM
  • The Wifi Direct specification indicates that non-WFD enabled devices can connect to a WFD Group Owner as it were a traditional Access Point.

Is there some documentation on how the Windows Wifi Direct implementation differs from the specification?

• Edited by Monochron Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:32 AM clarification
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:30 AM