How to set a custom path for a document folder during .msi setup RRS feed

• Question

• I am building an Excel Add-in and I am having trouble getting the msi package to create document folder in the right place.

What I want:

Install the add-in files to the program files folder (this works as planned) and then create a doc folder (for example c:\data\XLDoc) and then put an .xlsx file in that folder.

What is happening:

No matter what I specify for default path settings for my custom folder it always puts the doc folder as a sub-folder in the Program Files folder. I don't really want the user trying to use a spreadsheet out of the program files folder.

As a side question: Can anyone point me to some CURRENT documentation on building Windows Installer projects? I am using the installer extension from Microsoft in VS 2017 Community. I have found a number of docs but they all seem to be outdated. I found one pretty thorough walk through on MSDN but the UI does not match the installer project I am using. It has helped me solve some other issues but I can't get past this last thing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DK

Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi DMK_WA,

Where did you create the folder. I have create a installer project and set custom folder like below picture. After installing, the custom folder is created and the workbook in put in the folder.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:06 AM
  • Hi DK,

Has your original issue been resolved? If it has, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer or provide your solution and mark as answer to close this thread. If not, please feel free to let us know your current issue.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Monday, November 27, 2017 2:58 AM