Need a Database Tutorial for Widows 8.1 Apps with VS 2013 using Visual Basic

Question

• There doesn't seem to be much information available on this. I want to learn how to store data locally in a SQL database for a Windows 8.1 app developed with VS 2013. I have seen a lot of information about VS 2012, but I don't think it is the same procedure. For one thing, I think SQlite is already included with VS 2013. The reason I think that is that the VS 2012 tutorials tell you to go to Extensions and install it, but it is not available to install for me. I am using VS 2013 pro with update 2. Also, most of the tutorials that I have found are for C# or C++, but I am more comfortable with VB. If someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction by giving me step by step guidance on preparing to use SQlite with a Windows 8.1 app as well as the VB code to set it up and how to read and write to and from the database, or maybe you have a link or a book that might help I would appreciate it. Also, if there is some other storage solution that might be easier to use than SQL, such as XML or Linq then I would be interested in looking at those options as well.

Here is another question. I am pretty good with an Access database. Can I create tables in Access and then import that into a Windows Store app? If I do that, will a user be required to have Access or the Access runtime? I doubt that this is possible, but I don't think it hurts to ask.

Thanks,

David

Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:33 PM

Answers

• No, SQLite doesn't come with Visual Studio. The basic steps for using it will be the same in VS2013 and in VS2012. There are SQLite nuget packages you should be able to download for VS2013. I'm not aware of any VB specific samples on this, but the overall steps will be the same as in C#. I'd start with the documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/dn263243.aspx .

Windows Store apps cannot open access databases and cannot communicate with the Access runtime. You may be able to create an Access database and then convert it to a SQLite database format, but doing so is outside the scope of this forum.

--Rob

Monday, June 16, 2014 12:55 AM
    Owner
  • Unfortunately I'm not aware of any VB.Net samples. C# and VB are very similar though, so you should be able to get the basic idea by reading C#. There are also several C# to VB conversion tools you can try to help you out. Even if they don't completely work they'll usually get you close enough that somebody familiar with VB should be able to polish out the errors.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:24 PM
    Owner

All replies

• No, SQLite doesn't come with Visual Studio. The basic steps for using it will be the same in VS2013 and in VS2012. There are SQLite nuget packages you should be able to download for VS2013. I'm not aware of any VB specific samples on this, but the overall steps will be the same as in C#. I'd start with the documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/dn263243.aspx .

Windows Store apps cannot open access databases and cannot communicate with the Access runtime. You may be able to create an Access database and then convert it to a SQLite database format, but doing so is outside the scope of this forum.

--Rob

Monday, June 16, 2014 12:55 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob. Thanks for the advice. I finally found the Nuget package for SQlite. I was previously looking in Extensions and Updates. I also discovered that Sqlite now has an installer package that will install all of the necessary components that are required to develop apps using VS 2013. You can download it here 

http://system.data.sqlite.org/downloads/1.0.92.0/sqlite-netFx451-setup-bundle-x86-2013-1.0.92.0.exe

I will check out the link that you gave me. I am currently following a turorial on this website: 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertgreen/archive/2012/11/13/using-sqlite-in-windows-store-apps.aspx

but it is from 2012 and it is, of course, using C# for all of the examples, LOL.

I would still like to see some VB examples if anyone has any.

Thanks,

David

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:04 AM
  • Unfortunately I'm not aware of any VB.Net samples. C# and VB are very similar though, so you should be able to get the basic idea by reading C#. There are also several C# to VB conversion tools you can try to help you out. Even if they don't completely work they'll usually get you close enough that somebody familiar with VB should be able to polish out the errors.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:24 PM
    Owner