Metro Start Menu Is Just a Green Screen

Question

• Hi everyone!

New to these forums and I'm currently stumped as to how to fix my issue. I am currently running The Developer Preview and When I click to open the Metro Start menu I am presented with a blank green screen. When I click around the screen the apps load. I can also, albeit blindly, move the tiles around ( i can select/hold a tile and see the tile I've selected and currently moving), and when I escape from Start the app icons briefly appear (more of a flash as Metro closes). Now the funny thing i ran into was when disabling Metro through the registry; when i click on the Windows sc on my keyboard, metro start comes up just fine until, i assume, explorer reboots, completely disabling Metro. 

Also, I am not entirely sure I posted this in the correct forum. I do apologize ahead of time. 

Thanks!

- Roland

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:52 AM

Answers

• Frigid.Ghost,

I am sorry about the issue that you are experiencing.  What is the screen resolution that you are running at?

1024x768 is the lowest resolution to run Metro Apps so if you have your screen resolution set to a lower setting then perhaps raising it will fix your problems.

Please post back with your results

Thanks

Chris
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:00 PM
  • You might want to check your computer against the System Requirements for Windows Developer Preview.

System Requirements of Windows Developer Preview:

Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

· 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

· 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

· DirectX 9 graphics 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

· device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

· Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch

· To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater

Since the manufacturers have not created drivers for Windows Developers Preview, I suggest you update to the most current Windows 7 driver especially your graphics driver.
    If that doesn't work, they try to install the drivers in in compatibility mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

· Enter the Start screen

· Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

· Select Search

· Type Compatibility

· Click Settings in the right column

· Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

· Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:07 PM

All replies

• Frigid.Ghost,

I am sorry about the issue that you are experiencing.  What is the screen resolution that you are running at?

1024x768 is the lowest resolution to run Metro Apps so if you have your screen resolution set to a lower setting then perhaps raising it will fix your problems.

Please post back with your results

Thanks

Chris
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:00 PM
  • You might want to check your computer against the System Requirements for Windows Developer Preview.

System Requirements of Windows Developer Preview:

Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

· 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

· 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

· DirectX 9 graphics 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

· device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

· Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch

· To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater

Since the manufacturers have not created drivers for Windows Developers Preview, I suggest you update to the most current Windows 7 driver especially your graphics driver.
    If that doesn't work, they try to install the drivers in in compatibility mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

· Enter the Start screen

· Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

· Select Search

· Type Compatibility

· Click Settings in the right column

· Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

· Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:07 PM