none
WINDOWS Kinect for biped motion capture RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I'm a 3D artist, animator and film maker, and I picked up a Xbox Kinect sensor a while back to try and integrate it into my workflow.  I found that blocking out the basics of an animation with the kinect was much faster than by hand.  When the WINDOWS kinect was announced, I sold my Xbox sensor and waited for the student pricing to become available.

I now have a Windows Kinect on the way.  I switched because I read that it has improved skeletal tracking, and that the new SDK software would support it exclusively, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on a few things:
    1. Can I use OpenNI / 3rd party drivers with the Windows Kinect hardware?
    2. If not, is there any good motion capture software out for the Windows Kinect yet?  (Google  is useless because the name Windows Kinect is far to generic and turns up windows and Kinect.  I really wish they'd named it something different)
    3. Have I made a mistake?  Should I have stuck with the Xbox sensor since I don't program?  I do understand that the current sensor is for research and development, and I feel like I'm not to far of from that because with my original sensor, I spent most of my time exploring new ways to use it through software like FAAST and Glove PIE, and trying to streamline a workflow that included it.

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:21 PM

Answers

• There is no built in support for any type of tracking that would plug into a third party application or tool from the SDK. That would be up to the vendors or developer's to implement using the SDK. If the tool you are using has been built on the Kinect for Windows SDK, then the Kinect for Windows hardware would be the only commericially supportable device that you can use with the software. 

At this time, I am not aware of any software that supports this yet?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:27 PM

All replies

• There is no built in support for any type of tracking that would plug into a third party application or tool from the SDK. That would be up to the vendors or developer's to implement using the SDK. If the tool you are using has been built on the Kinect for Windows SDK, then the Kinect for Windows hardware would be the only commericially supportable device that you can use with the software. 

At this time, I am not aware of any software that supports this yet?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Their is a biped modeling app I have a link to i will come back and post it and I also know of a open source 3d model importer that has great quality and it gets this information from the person/object it scanned in front of kinect. The biped bone animator is source so you have to compile though.

1. can i use open ni on the same computer? Answer: no, unless you have open ni in a virtual machine.

2. Kinect for windows sensor will work better you find because besides near mode and some sdk changes for it their is also shorter cable lengths to prevent interferance.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:22 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Sorry I took long but here's a link to someone that's made one:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/2bfff4a4-0d2d-40a3-ae65-8299f65bec8c

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:59 AM