none
Securing the Macro Enabled Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My name is Gururajan. I am a DotNot and Word VBA Word Developer. I created a macro enabled word template and developed modules in the template. After that i protected the VBA project with strong password in the template. These things i have been doing for the long. What i wanted to ask is whether the password protection for VBA project in the template is safe. Because it can be easily tracked and opened and i myself opened the template although i protected the template with strong password. I need clarifications on the below mentioned points.

• Whether the password protection is safe for the VBA project in the macro enabled template (Note: Password protected template can easily tracked and opened)
    • If the password protection is not safe for the template, then what are the other ways to protect the macro enabled template. (In that case nobody cannot open the template in any way).

Please provide the solution and do the needful. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & Regards,

Gururajan K

Friday, October 6, 2017 2:35 PM

All replies

• If you applied a password to the VBA project, no-one can open the VBA project to access your code without that password; that doesn't prevent them running your macros, however. Although no-one can open a password-protected VBA project without the password, there are methods a knowledgeable user can exploit to gain access to it; few users have such knowledge, however, and no-one here would be permitted to tell you how. There are also companies selling software that claims to be able to retrieve VBA project passwords.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by macropodMVP Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:29 AM
    Friday, October 6, 2017 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have an another query regarding the VB6 DLL. I have a word VBA codes in the macro enabled template and transferred the codes (modules) to the VB6. I then converted the codes in the VB6 into DLL. I called the DLL through VBA code in another macro enabled template. It is working fine in my system. When I deployed the template along with the DLL in another PC and debug the VBA code in that template to call/check DLL whether the DLL calling is working fine, it throws an error stating “ActiveX Component Can't Create Object – error 429”. When I open the word (2010/2016) in administrator mode in that PC and debug the VBA code in that template, it is working fine. I need a clarification/solution that the DLL should work fine in any PC without administrator mode or any other interruptions. The below is the code which I tried to call the DLL

//

Dim obj As DLLTest.Class1

Set obj = New DLLTest.Class1

obj.DLLChecking

//

Thanks & Regards,

Gururajan K

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi Gururajan K,

Since this is a new issue, I would suggest you mark helpful reply to close this thread and post a new thread for the new issue. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:29 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I will post this issue as a new thread.

Thanks & Regards,

Gururajan K

Thursday, October 12, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hi Gururajan K,

What's the state of the original issue? Is macropod's reply helpful for you.

If it is, please mark the reply to close this thread. If not, please feel free to let us know your current issue.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:48 AM