none
Should I look into Visual Studio if I'm interested in mobile development?

Question

• Hi,

I'm a student looking to get involved in programming and mobile app development. From what I've heard, visual studio can be used to design apps for multiple platforms, using the same code language, C#. I was wondering if I should take a course in C#, because that's what visual studio uses, or should look into something more platform-specific, like java and Android Studio. 

Thanks!

Friday, July 15, 2016 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hi smh3005

Visual Studio is support for developing mobile apps with  Windows, IOS and Android. Based on my understand how to select develop language is depending on your interests.  You could do some research on C#, Java(Android App) or object-c and they develop platforms. And then choose which language is suitable for yourself or which programming style is you like. I think take the time to research several programming languages is necessary because this varies from one person to another.

In my opinion, Visual Studio 2015 is a good tools for mobile apps. It could develop Windows Phone, Android, IOS app with the same language, and the Android emulator in Visual Studio  running smoothly.  However, I suggest you should compare this three language and platforms based on yourself programming practice.

I hope this will be helpful for you.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi smh3005

Thanks for your post.

You are right, according to official document , Visual Studio 2015(Community, Enterprise, Professional ) is support for developing mobile apps with  Windows, ISO and Android.

If you want to develop Android or IOS app, we should enable ‘Cross Platform Mobile Development’ and  its option below when we install Visual Studio.

Then you can reference above link to learn how to build a cross platform mobile app. Hope that can help you.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Thanks for your response,

So should I devote my time towards learning C# and Visual Studio? Or would it be better for me, a beginner, to spend time learning java and Android Studio? 

In other words, is Visual Studio as good of a tool for mobile apps as the popular platforms' respective IDEs are (Android Studio and XCode)? 

Monday, July 18, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Hi smh3005

Visual Studio is support for developing mobile apps with  Windows, IOS and Android. Based on my understand how to select develop language is depending on your interests.  You could do some research on C#, Java(Android App) or object-c and they develop platforms. And then choose which language is suitable for yourself or which programming style is you like. I think take the time to research several programming languages is necessary because this varies from one person to another.

In my opinion, Visual Studio 2015 is a good tools for mobile apps. It could develop Windows Phone, Android, IOS app with the same language, and the Android emulator in Visual Studio  running smoothly.  However, I suggest you should compare this three language and platforms based on yourself programming practice.

I hope this will be helpful for you.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response!
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:46 PM
  • Hi smh3006,

Thanks for your response.

If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark the helpful reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free come back to our forum to create new thread.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:32 AM