Problem in Log Shipping (SQL SERVER 2008) RRS feed

• Question

• we have Setup  Log shipping in SQL SERVER 2008 environment.Today we faced with a problem in our  secondary database.Every time that the Copy and Restore jobs ran,it took longer than the previous time.For the Copy process,It seems ,It always copies all the transaction log backups from a specific time  again and again and for restore job,it try to restore all the log from a specific date .Also,it seems that Last_restored_date , Last_Resore_file,Last_copied_date and Las_Copied_File are not being updated.

I would apprciate if someone help me on this

A.G

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:56 AM

Answers

• usually it take more time complete the restore action,check the below

*size of the transaction log file

*size of the ldf file in the primary server, run DBCC SQPERF(LOGSPACE)  in SSMS of the primary server.

What is the time specified for

BAckup  JOb

Copy Job

Restore JOB

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:31 AM
  • As you mention that job is copying all log backups that should not happen.

Normally backup, copy & restore job is set at same schdule so that one backup genrated, one backup copied & one backup restored.

In first sight, I can say there is some issue with your restore job.

You can do :-

• disbale all 3 jobs : - backup, copy & restore
    • check details : Last_restored_date , Last_Resore_file,Last_copied_date and Las_Copied_File
    • manually restore the next t-log backup till t-logs are restored (details retrive from above step) in no recovery or stand by mode (as per your configuration)

check results after this.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:48 AM

All replies

• usually it take more time complete the restore action,check the below

*size of the transaction log file

*size of the ldf file in the primary server, run DBCC SQPERF(LOGSPACE)  in SSMS of the primary server.

What is the time specified for

BAckup  JOb

Copy Job

Restore JOB

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:31 AM
  • As you mention that job is copying all log backups that should not happen.

Normally backup, copy & restore job is set at same schdule so that one backup genrated, one backup copied & one backup restored.

In first sight, I can say there is some issue with your restore job.

You can do :-

• disbale all 3 jobs : - backup, copy & restore
    • check details : Last_restored_date , Last_Resore_file,Last_copied_date and Las_Copied_File
    • manually restore the next t-log backup till t-logs are restored (details retrive from above step) in no recovery or stand by mode (as per your configuration)

check results after this.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:48 AM