Exception thrown when trying to specify both a square and a wide tile in notification.

Question

• I'm trying to specify both a square and a wide version for a tile notification, according to the document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465426.aspx

I'm writing it in C++, there is the code:

// Set up a wide tile
    XmlDocument ^ tileXml = TileUpdateManager::GetTemplateContent(TileTemplateType::TileWideImage);
    XmlElement ^ imageElement = (XmlElement^)tileXml->GetElementsByTagName("image")->Item(0);
    imageElement->SetAttribute("src", image_url);

XmlElement ^ bindingElement = (XmlElement^)tileXml->GetElementsByTagName("binding")->Item(0);
    bindingElement->SetAttribute("branding", "None");

// Set up a square tile
    XmlDocument ^ s_tileXml = TileUpdateManager::GetTemplateContent(TileTemplateType::TileSquareImage);
    XmlElement ^ s_imageElement = (XmlElement^)s_tileXml->GetElementsByTagName("image")->Item(0);
    s_imageElement->SetAttribute("src", s_image_url);

XmlElement ^ s_node = (XmlElement^)s_tileXml->ImportNode(s_tileXml->GetElementsByTagName("binding")->Item(0), true);
    XmlElement ^ visualElement = (XmlElement^)tileXml->GetElementsByTagName("visual")->Item(0);
    visualElement->AppendChild(s_node); // <- it fails here with the exception below:
        // First-chance exception at 0x77A756C4 in app.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: Platform::COMException ^ at memory location 0x090CE0D0.

I don't see any null pointers or unsuccessfull calls (until the last line) when debugging this code, so it's not likely to be a null-pointer dereference nor operating on an invalid object.

Am I doing something wrong or is it an internal bug?

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:12 AM

All replies

• I am not seeing a good reason this would be failing in this manner. Could you please file a bug on this issue? Here are the instructions. Let me know when it is submitted so I can follow-up on it.

Thanks!

Developer Support for Consumer Preview on MSDN

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure
    we get the right info including a detailed description and important log
    files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from
    the Microsoft Connect Site associated with the Windows 8 pre-release
    programs?  Click the follow limited use link to join the Connect program
    and then follow these steps.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=CB2-YH2D-TXMW

To install the Windows Send
    Feedback Tool:

1. Click on the “Downloads” link in the left-side menu
    2. Click on the “Windows Send Feedback Tool”
    3. Select the version appropriate for the bitness of your OS,
      and click on “Download”
    4. If requested, install “Microsoft File Transfer Manager”
      application.
    5. Install the “Windows Send Feed Back Tool” from the location
      which you downloaded it.

To provide feedback once the Windows Feedback Tool is
    installed:

1. Open the Send Feedback icon on the Start screen. (Note: Make sure you don’t delete
      the icon – once it’s deleted, it can’t be recovered.)
    2. On the left side of the window, select the relevant area for your feedback. For
      example, if your feedback is about changing the background color, you would
      select “Appearance and Customization.”
    3. On the right side, choose the issue that matches your feedback as closely as possible,
      and then click or tap Next.
    4. Enter a title that describes your issue. For example, “Windows hangs during shutdown
      after installing updates.”
    5. In the next field, describe step-by-step what you were doing when the issue
      occurred. This will help us reproduce the problem.
    6. In the bottom field of the screen, provide as much additional detail as possible
      about the issue, and then click or tap Next.

David Lamb

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:23 AM