none
Side by side install - select which version to use RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a custom Project type using MPF for Projects - Visual Studio 2010. Project files have the extension .xyzproj

Let us suppose that on a computer there are installed two versions of this extension, 1.0 and 2.0 (a side by side install situation). When user uses Open Project/Solution... in Visual Studio to open a file myproject.xyzproject, how can I allow to user to choose which extension to use, 1.0 or 2.0?

Regards,

Mircea  

Monday, August 1, 2011 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Mircea,

Unfortunately, there is currently no infrastructure to deal with collisions of project filename extensions, such that you could assign or pick one over the other (like you can with editors).

Consequently, there are no real good workarounds here. Using different file extensions can be particularly troublesome. If your primary scenario is to install the updated version primarily for testing, you might want to configure those test systems, such that the updated version only runs in a custom experimental hive.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:57 PM

All replies

• Why not use version 2 to replace the version 1? or use the different name for each version?
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Hello,

Extension is just a part from a main product that features side by side installation. Our users usually have side by side install to test the new release and in parallel to use the previous release for production. So it will be nice to have side by side also for extension if possible.

For our users it will be difficult to have extensions like .10proj and .20proj because we have new releases several times per year.

Regards,

Mircea

Thursday, August 4, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi Mircea,

Unfortunately, there is currently no infrastructure to deal with collisions of project filename extensions, such that you could assign or pick one over the other (like you can with editors).

Consequently, there are no real good workarounds here. Using different file extensions can be particularly troublesome. If your primary scenario is to install the updated version primarily for testing, you might want to configure those test systems, such that the updated version only runs in a custom experimental hive.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hello Ed,

Thanks for your answer. Can you provide me some links about how can I programatically allow to user to pick the editor used for an extension at runtime. Our extension includes an editor and it will be great to user to choose which version to use.

Regards,

Mircea

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:53 AM