Where is Xamarin Studio? RRS feed

• Question

• User340 posted

It doesn't seem like it's possible to download Xamarin Studio any more.

https://www.xamarin.com/download

Let's me download an installer for the whole Xamarin "platform" but it doesn't install Studio. I already have VS Pro with Xamarin installed, I just want to download Xamarin Studio.

The main reason I want it is because the Xamarin update function is always buggy in VS. I get the update notification but when I click it, nothing happens. I always updated Xamarin by checking for updates in Studio.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:56 PM

Answers

• User21936 posted

@SpaceMonkey

Yes, Xamarin Studio for Windows is no longer included in the universal installer for Windows. You should still be able to get it from your account page on our website at: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads

However it would be best to figure out why updating from VS is not working for you. I personally have not had issues with updating Xamarin from VS. But I generally do not do it from the notification (which seems to be what you are doing?). Can you see if updating by opening the Tools->Options and navigating to Xamarin->Other. There should be a "Check for Updates" link on that page.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:10 PM

All replies

• User21936 posted

@SpaceMonkey

Yes, Xamarin Studio for Windows is no longer included in the universal installer for Windows. You should still be able to get it from your account page on our website at: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads

However it would be best to figure out why updating from VS is not working for you. I personally have not had issues with updating Xamarin from VS. But I generally do not do it from the notification (which seems to be what you are doing?). Can you see if updating by opening the Tools->Options and navigating to Xamarin->Other. There should be a "Check for Updates" link on that page.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:10 PM
  • User340 posted

@JGoldberger

My account page doesn't let me download anything but the same universal installer. Has Studio been discontinued?

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:58 PM
  • User21936 posted

Sorry, forgot to mention to click the "View All Versions" link on that downloads page.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:06 PM
  • User340 posted

I see, didn't notice that link. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:32 PM
  • User340 posted

@JGoldberger

btw, there's no:

"Tools->Options and navigating to Xamarin->Other."

Here is a screenshot (VS 2017 RC): no "other" category

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:14 PM
  • User12211 posted

@SpaceMonkey said: @JGoldberger

btw, there's no:

"Tools->Options and navigating to Xamarin->Other."

Here is a screenshot (VS 2017 RC):

That's a horse of another color. VS 2017 changed a lot of things. It is only supported in Xamarin for VS preview releases at this time and there are known issues with that support as documented in the release notes.

See this post for more info.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:12 PM
  • User21936 posted

@SpaceMonkey

OK, I do not have VS 2017 installed yet so I was unaware that that page was missing. Apparently with VS 2017 you would update extensions, like Xamarin, using the new Visual Studio Installer app that is installed when you install VS 2017, or by using the Tools->Extensions and Updates menu.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:30 PM