problems wiht image gallery using an asp:ImageButton RRS feed

• Question

• User-880695420 posted

I am an illustrator, and I am trying to design my  website using asp.net 2 (but unfortunatly I am not a programmer!!!) At present the pagination is a numeric pagination but for the sake of navigation I would like to add thumbnail buttons

So on the page I try to create on the left stands the main image, stored in a DetailsView control, as on the right are all the images Thumbnails, stored in a Datalist. It works pretty well, the problem is that because the ImageButton in my Datalist fires a PostBackUrl method, every time the method is called all the page (including the thumbnails) jumps up as it reloads. Any tips? Here below the code. Many thanks as usual Shirley and Mario

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource1"

AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="IDcartoon" AllowPaging="True" CellPadding="0" Border = "0" CellSpacing="0" PageSize="1" OnPageIndexChanging="DetailsView1_PageIndexChanging">

<fields><asp:BoundField DataField="Text" SortExpression="Text" />

<asp:ImageField

DataImageUrlField="IDcartoon"

DataImageUrlFormatString="f_jpgs/{0}.jpg"

DataAlternateTextField="Title"

DataAlternateTextFormatString="IDcartoon{0}"/> </fields>

<pagersettings mode="NumericFirstLast" PageButtonCount="55" Position="Bottom" />

</asp:DetailsView>

<asp:AccessDataSource ID="AccessDataSource3" runat="server" DataFile="~/database.mdb"

SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [tCartoons]WHERE Series = 'homepage' ORDER BY [Datez] Desc "></asp:AccessDataSource>

<asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server" DataKeyField="IDcartoon" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource3" RepeatColumns="4" RepeatDirection="Horizontal" Border = "0" BorderColor="#999999"  BackColor="#E0E0E0" >

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:ImageButton ID="ImageButton1" runat="server" AlternateText='<%# Eval("Title")%>' Border = "0" ImageUrl='<%# Eval("IDcartoon", "f_thumbs_40/{0}.jpg") %>' PostBackUrl='<%# Eval("IDCartoon", "default-a.aspx?IDCartoon={0}") %>'  BorderWidth="1px" />             

</ItemTemplate>

</asp:DataList>

<asp:AccessDataSource ID="AccessDataSource1" runat="server" DataFile="~/database.mdb "

SelectCommand="SELECT [Datez], [IDcartoon], [Title], [TEXT] FROM [tCartoons] WHERE ([IDcartoon] = @IDcartoon)">

<SelectParameters>

<asp:QueryStringParameter Name="Title" DefaultValue="248" QueryStringField="IDcartoon"

Type="String"></asp:QueryStringParameter>

</SelectParameters>

</asp:AccessDataSource>

</form>

Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:05 AM

Answers

• User-1734134863 posted

Hi,

I describe my understandings about this issue again, if I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my understandings, you want to use the DataList as the paging control to handle the DetailsView. And in this scenario, you use the PostBackUrl property of the ImageButton in DataList  to reload the page and transfer the parameter to the DetailsView. However, you also want to only refresh the DetailsView not all of the page. So I suggest to remove the PostBackUrl property and use the "select" command  and ASP.NET AJAX control UpdatePanel to achieve the aim. 

The code is shown below.

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
         </asp:ScriptManager>
         <div>
            <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
                <ContentTemplate>
                    <asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server"
                     DataSourceID="AccessDataSource1" AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="IDcartoon"
                     CellPadding="0" Border = "0" PageSize="1"
                     OnPageIndexChanging="DetailsView1_PageIndexChanging">
                     <fields>
                          <asp:BoundField DataField="Text" SortExpression="Text" HeaderText="Text"  InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True" />
                          <asp:ImageField DataImageUrlField="IDcartoon" DataImageUrlFormatString="f_jpgs/{0}.jpg" DataAlternateTextField="Title"
                           DataAlternateTextFormatString="IDcartoon{0}"/>
                     </fields>
                     <pagersettings mode="NumericFirstLast" PageButtonCount="55" Position="Bottom" />
                    <asp:AccessDataSource ID="AccessDataSource1" runat="server"
                        DataFile="~/database.mdb"
                        SelectCommand="SELECT IDcartoon, Title, Datez, Series, Text FROM tCartoons WHERE (IDcartoon = ?)">
                        <SelectParameters>
                            <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DataList1" DefaultValue="" Name="?"
                                PropertyName="SelectedValue" />
                        </SelectParameters>
                    <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel2" runat="server">
                        <ContentTemplate>
                            <asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server" BackColor="#E0E0E0" Border="0"
                                BorderColor="#999999" DataKeyField="IDcartoon" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource3"
                                RepeatColumns="4" RepeatDirection="Horizontal">
                                <ItemTemplate>
                                    <asp:ImageButton ID="ImageButton1" runat="server"
                                        AlternateText='<%# Eval("Title")%>' Border="0" BorderWidth="1px"
                                        CommandName="select"
                                        ImageUrl='<%# Eval("IDcartoon", "f_thumbs_40/{0}.jpg") %>' />
                                </ItemTemplate>
                            <asp:AccessDataSource ID="AccessDataSource3" runat="server"
                                SelectCommand="SELECT IDcartoon, Title, Datez, Series, Text FROM tCartoons WHERE (Series = 'homepage') ORDER BY Datez DESC">
                        </ContentTemplate>
                    </asp:UpdatePanel>
                </ContentTemplate>

</div>

I look forward to receiving your test results.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:13 AM
  • User1564875471 posted

If you are working with asp.net 2.0 , you need to install Ajax extensions ,

Then you need to add some entries to website  web.config file which is required to register the ajax controls and services.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:44 AM

All replies

• User1564875471 posted

Hi,

what i understand is that you want to redirect the user to a nother page instead of postback . right ? 

Please use the HyperLink control instead of the ImageButton 

<ItemTemplate>
        <asp:HyperLink ID="Hyp1" runat="server" ToolTip='<%# Eval("Title")%>' ImageUrl='<%# Eval("IDcartoon", "f_thumbs_40/{0}.jpg") %>'
            NavigateUrl='<%# Eval("IDCartoon", "default-a.aspx?IDCartoon={0}") %>' Border="0"
            BorderWidth="1px" />
    </ItemTemplate>

Note:

I formatted your code to be more readable so that the others can read it , in the future you can paste the code using code editor ( ), you can also edit your original thread and fix the format.

<asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource1"
        AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="IDcartoon" AllowPaging="True" CellPadding="0"
        Border="0" CellSpacing="0" PageSize="1" OnPageIndexChanging="DetailsView1_PageIndexChanging">
        <Fields>
            <asp:BoundField DataField="Text" SortExpression="Text" />
            <asp:ImageField DataImageUrlField="IDcartoon" DataImageUrlFormatString="f_jpgs/{0}.jpg"
                DataAlternateTextField="Title" DataAlternateTextFormatString="IDcartoon{0}" />
        </Fields>
        <PagerSettings Mode="NumericFirstLast" PageButtonCount="55" Position="Bottom" />
    <asp:AccessDataSource ID="AccessDataSource3" runat="server" DataFile="~/database.mdb"
        SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [tCartoons]WHERE Series = 'homepage' ORDER BY [Datez] Desc ">
    <asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server" DataKeyField="IDcartoon" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource3"
        RepeatColumns="4" RepeatDirection="Horizontal" Border="0" BorderColor="#999999"
        BackColor="#E0E0E0">
        <ItemTemplate>
            <asp:ImageButton ID="ImageButton1" runat="server" AlternateText='<%# Eval("Title")%>'
                Border="0" ImageUrl='<%# Eval("IDcartoon", "f_thumbs_40/{0}.jpg") %>' PostBackUrl='<%# Eval("IDCartoon", "default-a.aspx?IDCartoon={0}") %>'
                BorderWidth="1px" />
        </ItemTemplate>
    <asp:AccessDataSource ID="AccessDataSource1" runat="server" DataFile="~/database.mdb "
        SelectCommand="SELECT [Datez], [IDcartoon], [Title], [TEXT] FROM [tCartoons] WHERE ([IDcartoon] = @IDcartoon)">
        <SelectParameters>
            <asp:QueryStringParameter Name="Title" DefaultValue="248" QueryStringField="IDcartoon"
                Type="String"></asp:QueryStringParameter>
        </SelectParameters>

Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:54 AM
  • User-880695420 posted

Thanks Anas

for replying and for having made my code readable.

To be honest I don't wont to redirect to another page. I would only like to have thumbnails in place of numbers (the ordinary page numbers of pagination) so that by clicking on the thumbnails you stay on the same page though this now displays the new information.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:01 AM
  • User-1734134863 posted

Hi,

Based on my understandings, you want to use the DataList as a paging control. If I have understood the issue, please refer to the following code.

The code of DataList:

<asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server" DataKeyField="ID" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource3" RepeatColumns="4" RepeatDirection="Horizontal" Border = "0" BorderColor="#999999"  BackColor="#E0E0E0" >
       <ItemTemplate>                 
       <asp:ImageButton ID="ImageButton1" runat="server" CommandName="select" AlternateText='<%# Eval("Title")%>' Border = "0" ImageUrl='<%# Eval("IDcartoon", "f_thumbs_40/{0}.jpg") %>'  BorderWidth="1px" />             
       </ItemTemplate>

The code of  DetailViews:

<asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource1" AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="ID"
         CellPadding="0" Border = "0" PageSize="1" OnPageIndexChanging="DetailsView1_PageIndexChanging">
         <fields>
         <asp:BoundField DataField="Text" SortExpression="Text" HeaderText="Text"  InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True" />

<asp:ImageField

DataImageUrlField="IDcartoon"

DataImageUrlFormatString="f_jpgs/{0}.jpg"

DataAlternateTextField="Title"

</fields>

The code of AccessDataSource1:

SelectCommand="SELECT ID, IDcartoon, Title, Datez, Series, Text FROM tCartoons WHERE (ID = ?)">
                <SelectParameters>
                </SelectParameters>

The code of AccessDataSource3;

SelectCommand="SELECT ID, IDcartoon, Title, Datez, Series, Text FROM tCartoons WHERE (Series = 'homepage') ORDER BY Datez DESC">

And I suppose the structure of the table("tCartoons ") as the following.

ID Primary Key

IDcartoon

Title

Datez

Series

Text

I have highlight the code which I have modified.

Please feel free to let me know if I’ve misunderstood anything.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:39 AM
  • User-880695420 posted

Hi Zong Qing Li

many thanks for spending your valuable time to help me out with my problem.

I have implemented your changes, the code works but the problem is not ratified!

Everytime I click on a thumbnail all my page and not the content of the DetailsView only, as I would like it were, refreshes. So for a couple of seconds my page is completly blank as when I was using the PostBackUrl property with my previous ImageButton.

The exact structure of my table is the following:

IDcartoon (this is the primary key)

Title

Datez

Series

Text

(therefore where in your code you had  "ID" I wrote "IDcartoon")

Thanks again and if you have more tips please let me know and your help will be more than welcome!

Mario

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:49 AM
  • User-1734134863 posted

Hi,

Does the PostBackUrl point to the page itself ?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:21 AM
  • User-880695420 posted

yes it does.

In fact when I click on the thumbnails  I don't want to move away from my page

I only want to refresh the containt inside the DetailsView control.

At the moment I am looking for a solution working on your code, this has the advantage to hide the result of my query (when it refreshed the page) in the url adress.

Thanks

Mario

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:49 AM
  • User-1734134863 posted

Hi,

I describe my understandings about this issue again, if I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my understandings, you want to use the DataList as the paging control to handle the DetailsView. And in this scenario, you use the PostBackUrl property of the ImageButton in DataList  to reload the page and transfer the parameter to the DetailsView. However, you also want to only refresh the DetailsView not all of the page. So I suggest to remove the PostBackUrl property and use the "select" command  and ASP.NET AJAX control UpdatePanel to achieve the aim. 

The code is shown below.

<div>
                <ContentTemplate>
                     DataSourceID="AccessDataSource1" AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="IDcartoon"
                     <fields>
                          <asp:ImageField DataImageUrlField="IDcartoon" DataImageUrlFormatString="f_jpgs/{0}.jpg" DataAlternateTextField="Title"
                     </fields>
                        SelectCommand="SELECT IDcartoon, Title, Datez, Series, Text FROM tCartoons WHERE (IDcartoon = ?)">
                        <SelectParameters>
                        </SelectParameters>
                        <ContentTemplate>
                                <ItemTemplate>
                                        CommandName="select"
                                </ItemTemplate>
                                SelectCommand="SELECT IDcartoon, Title, Datez, Series, Text FROM tCartoons WHERE (Series = 'homepage') ORDER BY Datez DESC">
                        </ContentTemplate>
                </ContentTemplate>

</div>

I look forward to receiving your test results.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:13 AM
  • User-880695420 posted

Thanks for this!!!! I did have a go but I got this error:

Parser Error Message: Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'.

Source Error:

Line 75:               <td rowspan="4" style="width: 10px"></td>
    Line 76:               <td rowspan="2" bgcolor="#E0E0E0" style="width: 100px; color: #FFFFFF;">
    Line 77:                     <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
    Line 78:      </asp:ScriptManager>
    Line 79:      <div>

I placed the entire code here below (sorry but it is a bit untidy)

See if you can help me with this.

Also tell me how I can pay back your generosity with this.

Mario

<form id="form1" runat="server">
      <div>
            <table align="left" width="650" cellpadding="1">
                <tr>
                    <td style="width: 1px">
                    </td>
                    </td>
                    <td style="width: 1px"></td>
                    </td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                  <td rowspan="4" style="width: 10px"></td>
                  <td rowspan="2" bgcolor="#E0E0E0" style="width: 100px; color: #FFFFFF;">
         <div>

<ContentTemplate>
                     <fields>
                     </fields>
         </ContentTemplate>
     </td>
                  <td rowspan="2" bgcolor="#000000" style="width:1px">&nbsp;</td>
                  <td bordercolor="#FF0000" bgcolor="#E0E0E0" style="width:250px"><div align="left" class="style30">
                    <div align="center" class="style31"> Illustrations Prints &amp; Cartoons </div>
                  </div></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                  <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF" style="width:1px"><span class="style6">
                        <ContentTemplate>
                                <ItemTemplate>
                                        CommandName="select"
                                </ItemTemplate>
     </ContentTemplate>
                  </span></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                  <td bgcolor="#FFFF00" style="width: 500px; height: 21px;"><span class="style2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span class="style24"><a href="i_g_i.aspx">about</a></span></td>
                  <td bgcolor="#000000" style="width:1px"></td>
                  <td bordercolor="#FFFFFF" bgcolor="#FFFF00" style="width:250px"><span class="style29">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&copy; 2008 nerosunero</span></td>
                </tr>
        </table>

</div>

<table width="300" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
        <td>      <div> <br />
                <br />

DataFile="~/database.mdb "
                        <SelectParameters>
                            <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DataList1" DefaultValue="" Name="248"
                        </SelectParameters>  </asp:AccessDataSource>
                                DataFile="~/database.mdb "

</div>

</form></td>

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:21 AM
  • User1564875471 posted

If you are working with asp.net 2.0 , you need to install Ajax extensions ,

Then you need to add some entries to website  web.config file which is required to register the ajax controls and services.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:44 AM
  • User-880695420 posted

wow great it works!!!!

and now what I will have to do in order to show my gratefulness for both

Zong-Qing Li and Anas Ghanem!!!!

Please let me know

many many thanks

and kind regards

Mario/Shirley65

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:27 AM
  • User1227478465 posted

Hello,<o:o:p></o:o:p>

Considering that many developers in this forum ask how to How to
    use asp.net implement DataList Image Gallery, my team has created a code sample
    for this frequently asked programming task in
    Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework. You
    can download the code samples at:<o:o:p></o:o:p>

<o:o:p> </o:o:p>

CSASPNETDataListImageGallery<o:o:p></o:o:p>

http://bit.ly/CSASPNETDataListImageGallery<o:o:p></o:o:p>

With these code samples, we hope to reduce developers’ efforts in
    solving the frequently asked <o:o:p></o:o:p>

programming tasks. If you have any feedback or suggestions for the
    code samples, please email us:
    onecode@microsoft.com. <o:o:p></o:o:p>

------------<o:o:p></o:o:p>

The Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework (http://1code.codeplex.com) is a free,
    centralized code sample library driven by developers' needs. Our goal is to provide
    typical code samples for all Microsoft development technologies, and reduce
    developers' efforts in solving typical programming tasks.
    <o:o:p></o:o:p>

Our team listens to developers’ pains in MSDN forums, social media
    and various developer communities. We write code samples based on developers’
    frequently asked programming tasks, and allow developers to
    download them
    with a short code sample publishing cycle. Additionally, our team offers
    a free code sample request service. This
    service is a proactive way for our developer community to obtain code samples
    for certain programming tasks directly from Microsoft.
    <o:o:p></o:o:p>

Thanks<o:o:p></o:o:p>

Microsoft All-In-One Code Framework<o:o:p></o:o:p>

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:43 AM
  • User846154178 posted

@Shirley : can i see the output? thanks before....

Monday, April 25, 2011 12:10 AM