VS2013 and Lightswitch HTML. Where is a People Picker??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys!

I was so exited that VS had been released last night, and somewhere I found the blog post, which said that (People Picker is not included in Rc version). So, in which version it is going to be included?

I have created a simple project, enable SP, created a list with only one field(type Person), run the application - and....

nothing like people picker. It has only modal picker with all these fields from user profile in SP.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

From Post:

Person fields in SharePoint 2013-enabled applications will be displayed using a people viewer or people picker. The people picker will allow you to select values for the person field from your existing SharePoint user store, which will commonly be backed by your organization’s Active Directory. (Note: the people picker and viewer controls are not included the Visual Studio 2013 RC.)

Link

• Edited by nicksav Friday, October 18, 2013 6:39 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 6:27 AM

Answers

• The list of available controls you are showing seems to imply that your User property is not a Person data type but is really some other entity type in your project, which is a navigation property.

Here are the steps you implied in your original post:

1. Create new HTML Project
    2. Enable SharePoint
    3. Add new entity.
    4. Add new property of type Person
    5. Add new screen (Add/Edit Details) based on the entity

Here's the list I get:

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

• Marked as answer by nicksav Monday, October 21, 2013 9:52 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick-

Are you using RC or RTM?

Both the people picker control and people viewer control are available in the Visual Studio 2013 RTM that was released yesterday, so if you're using RTM, you should definitely see them in the screen designer.

Let me know if you still don't see them in RTM.

Thanks,

Nicole

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Hi Nicole!

I have just downloded the latest VS 2013 Professional.

As I mentioned above, I have create a simple list witch just two fields, one of them is a person type.

After, added button to add new entry.

So, I see 5 options. Where should I select People Picker.

Any docs?

Thanks

Nick

Forgot to mention, This app is SP enabled.

• Edited by nicksav Sunday, October 20, 2013 11:10 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 11:04 AM
  • The list of available controls you are showing seems to imply that your User property is not a Person data type but is really some other entity type in your project, which is a navigation property.

Here are the steps you implied in your original post:

1. Create new HTML Project
    2. Enable SharePoint
    3. Add new entity.
    4. Add new property of type Person
    5. Add new screen (Add/Edit Details) based on the entity

Here's the list I get:

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

• Marked as answer by nicksav Monday, October 21, 2013 9:52 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Hi Justin!

Thank you for clarifying that.

I see now how these controls work. But I just dont understand. We have a Person type now.

Person type has its fields linked to SP User profile, when we enable SP in Lightswitch. At the same time when adding a new list from SharePoint, as a data source, the lightswitch will also import a table UserInformationList, which again containes the same fields as Person type. 

Why person type from SP list is not the same Person type in Lightswitch. 

Now, I have an application which updates SP list item, and list has a fild person in Sp, should I first create a local property of type Person in Lightswitch, and after for "before applying changes" update UserInformationList.Account with value from local property? Will it work?

Thanks

Nick

• Edited by nicksav Monday, October 21, 2013 9:48 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 9:46 AM
  • I’m trying to understand how the person property type is used as there seems to be a real shortage of information on the web. Basically I have a sample Silverlight web application using Forms authentication. Within a Person field I would anticipate being able to select the name/ID of a current user and this being saved in the field. However the Person property only seems to allow text entry, a person picker doesn’t seem to be available and it is unclear if what is (should be) saved to the field is simply the name of the user (as text) or a reference to the “hidden” user table…….can anyone point me in the right direction…am I expecting too much? Thanks

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:12 PM