none
Kinect Support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a client that wants to develop a virtual physical therapy application using Kinect for either Windows or Xbox One. I know the physical product is discontinued, but how is dev support for this? Will you continue support for this in the foreseeable future? If not, is there a viable alternative to Kinect that has full body motion tracking? Please let me know. Thank you.

Monday, December 18, 2017 5:16 PM

All replies

• First of all, I'm not an MS employee. Then again they scarcely show up here,almost never. So I wouldn't expect a response here.

Software support has been ,sort of ,discontinued even earlier. If we discount the UWP port recently which regressed most of the SDK to the point Kinect is just a glorified webcam(which can also show depth) out of the box, the last true SDK version was released on June 2014. Frankly it would be weird to waste resources on software maintenance considering the sensor has been gradually sidelined since 2014(actually earlier than that). More so since most of the resources have been thrown at Hololens ,which is the successor of Kinect, in the broad sense that it uses Kinect tech but it's not the same thing.

As to alternatives, here's a link. Orbbec seems to be the favorite among them. But it has its limits. No sensor out there can offer the same or more than Kinect v2 did unfortunately. So, I guess it depends on your use case. Perhaps Orbbec is enough for you. The author says it's decent when it comes to body tracking.

Monday, December 18, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Many thanks for the quick response there. I'm going to check out Orbbec now and see what it is. I figured support for Kinect would be non-existent given it is discontinued, but I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks again for the help.
    Monday, December 18, 2017 7:39 PM