none
Restrict user created queries so they can't edit data RRS feed

• Question

• My database has 30+ users. Most users have a locked down version of the front end. A few users have to be able to create their own queries but do not have much experience in SQL or CS backgrounds. I can't risk them being tempted to change data in queries how Access allows you to just start typing in a field in its query results.

I need to prevent users' ability to edit data from their custom created queries, and prevent them from writing update/insert/delete queries. Is there a way to allow users ability to use Access' query design editor to create their queries(or some other similar alternative), but control their ability to make all these queries snapshots, or not editable?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi. How do you expect them to create the queries in the first place? If they can see the tables, then can potentially open it and modify the data as well. The only way, I know of, to not allow edits is through a form or listbox. So, you might have to create a "query wizard" form to limit their capabilities for creating ad hoc queries. Just my 2 cents...
    • Marked as answer by HTHP Wednesday, December 9, 2015 11:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Temptation is not preventable, but some actions are.

As the DB guy suggests, a form would help. Start with the query that is most often written outside what you’re already providing, and provide some options so that the form writes the SQL. It seems to me this is such a common request, you might start with a day of googling.

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi. How do you expect them to create the queries in the first place? If they can see the tables, then can potentially open it and modify the data as well. The only way, I know of, to not allow edits is through a form or listbox. So, you might have to create a "query wizard" form to limit their capabilities for creating ad hoc queries. Just my 2 cents...
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Temptation is not preventable, but some actions are.

As the DB guy suggests, a form would help. Start with the query that is most often written outside what you’re already providing, and provide some options so that the form writes the SQL. It seems to me this is such a common request, you might start with a day of googling.

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:16 PM