The type arguments cannot be inferred from the query... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a "The type arguments cannot be inferred from the query" for the following linq query:

IQueryable<EquivalencySummary> query = from equivalency in Models.Equivalencies
    	join inventory in Models.Inventories on new
    	{
    		equivalency.EquivalencySupplier,
    		equivalency.EquivalencyPart
    	} equals new
    	{
    		inventory.Supplier,
    		inventory.Part
    	}
    	select new EquivalencySummary
    	{
    		EquivalencySupplier = equivalency.EquivalencySupplier,
    		EquivalencyPart = equivalency.EquivalencyPart,
    		EquivalencyItemDescription = inventory.Description1,
    		Supplier = equivalency.Supplier,
    		Part = equivalency.Part
    	};

If I take out the anonymous type and just join on one of the fields or another the error goes away, but obviously I need to join on both fields. All fields being compared are strings. This is a pretty straight forward query so i'm not sure what the problem is exactly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Friday, August 2, 2013 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hi jfk1974;

Try the join as follows. The two anonymous type must be of the same type. The datatype may be the same but the names used in both are different.

{
    		Supplier = equivalency.EquivalencySupplier,
    		Part = equivalency.EquivalencyPart
    	} equals new
    	{
    		Supplier = inventory.Supplier,
    		Part = inventory.Part
    	}

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by jfk1974 Monday, August 5, 2013 2:29 PM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi jfk1974;

Try the join as follows. The two anonymous type must be of the same type. The datatype may be the same but the names used in both are different.

{
    		Supplier = equivalency.EquivalencySupplier,
    		Part = equivalency.EquivalencyPart
    	} equals new
    	{
    		Supplier = inventory.Supplier,
    		Part = inventory.Part
    	}

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by jfk1974 Monday, August 5, 2013 2:29 PM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:05 AM
  • I knew it had to be something easy, thanks!
    Monday, August 5, 2013 2:29 PM