none
.net clr exception counter shows exceptions but the vs debugger doesn't break RRS feed

• Question

• I was profiling an asp.net 2.0 application for number of exceptions thrown. When I checked the .net clr exception counter it shows a steady increase in the number. I then worker process and chose debug-> Exceptions with break into debugger. I have also unchecked the option Enable Just My Code in Tools -> Options - Debugging - General, but still the debugger doesn't hit and the exception counter shows a rise when I do some stuff on the application.

Any ideas on this.

Mahendra Nepali
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post. The .net clr exception counter will report the exceptions thrown. But these thrown exceptions may have been handled. If an exception is handled, it's ok. Win32 functions usually use return value to incicate success or failure, while .NET code usually use exception. If there's any unhandled exception, that means something wrong with the code. Handled exceptions are considered normal execution path. So debugger will stop at unhandled exceptions by default. But we could change that, please open Visual Studio menu Debug -> Exceptions, and choose to break when an exception is thrown.

This thread addressed this in detail.

Please mark the right answer at the right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, November 12, 2010 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:37 AM