RSS Protocol Association RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing a RSS Feeds Reader aplication, i want to add the possibility to, when the user open one Feed in the browser, that it could, somehow, give the oportunity to open the Feed in the Application.

For Desktop Browsers, i added the Feed Web URI (feed://) protocol to my app, and when do Run of a link, like, feed://www.mywebsite/rss, the protocol association works (the App opens), but when i navigate into a RSS Feed in a Browser, neither of them trigger the Open With.

For the Internet Explorer App, the Feed Web URI protocol also doesn´t work. And i noticed, the app doesn't yet handle with Feeds, because when you navigate to a Feed, it prompts the user to download the xml. I tried make the App to Open XML files the App can handle with those XML, the problem is: The XML is downloaded to Downloads Folders. Because the Apps only have access to Documents, Pictures and Music, i cannot access the XML, wich is in the Downloads folder.

Any help on either the cases would be appreciated.

Friday, August 9, 2013 10:27 AM

Answers

• Protocol "feed://" opens outlook by default and it works on both versions of IE (Desktop as well as Modern UI). I ran a small test using this HTML

<html>
    <body>
    <a href="myfeed://news.google.co.in/news?pz=1&amp;cf=all&amp;ned=in&amp;hl=en&amp;output=rss">
    RSS Feed : This will open an App
    </a>

<a href="http://news.google.co.in/news?pz=1&amp;cf=all&amp;ned=in&amp;hl=en&amp;output=rss">
    RSS Feed : This will never open any other app 
    </a>
    </body>
    </html>

And when I click such link OS prompts me that App is trying to open some other app, and if I say OK it goes looking for something that supports this new protocol.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Is the IE link you are using presenting a feed: URI?

I just took a quick look through several sites and none of them presented RSS that way. If the page doesn't have a feed: link then your feed: protocol handler won't get called.

Like in Vishal's test, when I put a feed: link in a test page it did offer to switch out to my default handler.

--Rob

Friday, August 9, 2013 10:03 PM

All replies

• Did you follow the instructions for protocol activation for Windows Store apps? 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh452686.aspx

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, August 9, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Yes, i followed the tutorial for the feature building.

Not that especific one, but the equivalent to C#/VB/C++ and XAML

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh779670.aspx

Has i said, when i Run "feed://website1/rssexample1", the App is called.

The problem seems to be on IE

Unless I missed something.

• Edited by cdaniel.marques Friday, August 9, 2013 2:24 PM Grammar Correction
    Friday, August 9, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Protocol "feed://" opens outlook by default and it works on both versions of IE (Desktop as well as Modern UI). I ran a small test using this HTML

<html>
    <body>
    <a href="myfeed://news.google.co.in/news?pz=1&amp;cf=all&amp;ned=in&amp;hl=en&amp;output=rss">
    RSS Feed : This will open an App
    </a>

<a href="http://news.google.co.in/news?pz=1&amp;cf=all&amp;ned=in&amp;hl=en&amp;output=rss">
    RSS Feed : This will never open any other app 
    </a>
    </body>
    </html>

And when I click such link OS prompts me that App is trying to open some other app, and if I say OK it goes looking for something that supports this new protocol.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Is the IE link you are using presenting a feed: URI?

I just took a quick look through several sites and none of them presented RSS that way. If the page doesn't have a feed: link then your feed: protocol handler won't get called.

Like in Vishal's test, when I put a feed: link in a test page it did offer to switch out to my default handler.

--Rob

Friday, August 9, 2013 10:03 PM
  • Ok, now i understand.

I thought that in order to a webpage to publish a valid RSS, it would need to respect the Internet protocol for Feed, by using the URI protocol: feed://.

What happens is most of the RSS news pages, like Rob Caplan mencioned, use the http:// (so it could be oppened automatically by the browser I guess), that's why Internet Explorer doesn't activate de protocol. I tought for a moment, that the reason why the feed:// protocol wasn't appearing was because it was somehow hidden.

My App is a generic RSS Reader, the ideia is to the user can add manually any source, wich means I don't have one website feeding the App, so i cannot change the protocol.

I think i'm gone leave the implemented functionality working, for the cases on the protocol is used.

Thank's for the help.
    Friday, August 9, 2013 10:20 PM