Gifting app to specific users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a paid app on the WP store and I'm trying to figure out how I can gift it to particular users for free. Some sort of code system or white list for emails? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks

Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• you can privately distribute your app as well! please see this MSDN link for more details on targeted app distribution.

hope this helps!

Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:48 AM
  • Is this the only way to achieve this? As this means I have to maintain two versions of the app on the store and also any person who gets access to the link can download..

Not exactly an ideal solution :(

Sunday, February 22, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Hello Brad,

At this time there is not a way to gift an app to someone.  This is a great suggestion for an improvement to the eco system.  I recommend leaving feedback here: Dev Feedback page.

-Miles

Windows and Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Platform

• Marked as answer by Miles P - MSFT Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:01 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

I have a paid app on the WP store and I'm trying to figure out how I can gift it to particular users for free. Some sort of code system or white list for emails? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks

While there is no direct way to do this, I have a work-around that works just as well.

I have a paid word processor in the windows store.  It has a no time limit trial, so the trial will never expire.  The user of the trial gets full access to all functions of the app for 7 days.  After 7 days, the app goes into read-only mode until the user pays for the app.

And no, uninstalling and reinstalling the app will not reset the 7 days full features mode. 

Anyway, the work-around I mentioned is I have a secret code that if entered in the right location in the app will give full features to the trial permanently.  Isn't this the same thing as gifting the app to certain people?  Just give them the code.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:32 PM