accessing a Visual FoxPro database RRS feed

• Question

• User1584574419 posted
    Hi,

I have an vb/asp.net application that needs to access a Visual FoxPro database.

Every time I try to connect and read data - I get an error saying that I am missing a .dll file.

I assume that this is the 'database engine' for Foxpro db files.

My question: how can I install the Visual FoxPro ole db etc so that I can access Foxpro data from my webpage ?

I have tried searching on the MS web site but I cannot seem to find anything that will install the Foxpro components that I need.

Cheers.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2005 5:50 AM

All replies

• User1128174404 posted

This great article will explain everything you need.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnfoxgen7/html/usingaspnetwithvfp7.asp

Tuesday, August 9, 2005 11:17 AM
  • User806608047 posted

does anyone have the updated url to the above article?
    Friday, June 1, 2007 5:21 AM
  • User-331311316 posted

Hi!

You can use the FoxPro and Visual FoxPro OLE DB data provider to access your DBFs. It's downloadable from  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190232.aspx and works with all versions of FoxPro DBFs. A typical connection string for FoxPro "free" tables is "Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=C:\Temp\;" In your SQL statements you would refer to the specific DBF you are selecting data from. If there is a DBC (Database Container) file present where the DBFs are, then point your connection string to it, and again, refer to specific tables in your SQL commands. For example, "Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=C:\Temp\Test.dbc;"

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:42 PM
  • User465630851 posted

As alternative method, look at steps below:

You need to create an environment under which the table is NOT validated when it is opened. This can be achieved by the command -SET TABLEVALIDATE TO 0. Now you can easily open your tables.

These are some “Prevention Steps” to prevent your data from corruption:

Try to put a code in your program that automatically creates a duplicate copy of your tables (columns & rows), index files and databases.

Set-up a back-up routine.

Inform the user to properly shutdown the computer and regularly perform back-up.

Use UPS for power back-up.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:02 PM