none
Can't create new C++ console (or win32) project in Visual Studio 2015

Question

• Hi,

I installed VS 2015 update 3 from MSDN. But whenever I try to create a new C++ console or Win32 project, the 'create new project' window pops up again as I hit the 'OK' button, instead of creating the solution.

I even repaired the VS hoping that it'll be fine but after like 6 hours of the repair procedure, it's still the same. I can, however, open the project solutions.

Please assist me in this. 

Thanks

• Edited by Tarunn Tuesday, November 01, 2016 3:48 PM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2016 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Tarunn,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Did you meet any installation error or warning during the installation of the VS 2015 update 3?

>> But whenever I try to create a new C++ console or Win32 project, the 'create new project' window pops up again as I hit the 'OK' button, instead of creating the solution.

Please try to create other C# or VB project and see if this issue still happens or not. I found some old threads that have the similar issue like yours, that is caused by the IE8. What’s your current IE browser? If it is IE8, please have a look at this similar issue and reinstall IE8 or modify the registry table(backup it firstly).

If not, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands as below, then open VS and see if the same issue will occur or not.
      • devenv /resetuserdata: clean up the user data
      • devenv /resetsettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.
      • devenv /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.
      • devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.
    2. Run the command: devenv /safemode: Launches the IDE in safe mode and create the new project, if it works that means the installed extensions is the culprit, please go to Tools—Extensions and updates and remove the installed extensions one by one to find the specific extension that caused this issue.

If this issue persists, I need your help to collect the VS installation and runtime logs, please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt. And upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 03, 2016 2:38 AM
  • Hi Tarunn,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Did you meet any installation error or warning during the installation of the VS 2015 update 3?

>> But whenever I try to create a new C++ console or Win32 project, the 'create new project' window pops up again as I hit the 'OK' button, instead of creating the solution.

Please try to create other C# or VB project and see if this issue still happens or not. I found some old threads that have the similar issue like yours, that is caused by the IE8. What’s your current IE browser? If it is IE8, please have a look at this similar issue and reinstall IE8 or modify the registry table(backup it firstly).

If not, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands as below, then open VS and see if the same issue will occur or not.
      • devenv /resetuserdata: clean up the user data
      • devenv /resetsettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.
      • devenv /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.
      • devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.
    2. Run the command: devenv /safemode: Launches the IDE in safe mode and create the new project, if it works that means the installed extensions is the culprit, please go to Tools—Extensions and updates and remove the installed extensions one by one to find the specific extension that caused this issue.

If this issue persists, I need your help to collect the VS installation and runtime logs, please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt. And upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Hi, Sara

I appreciate the prompt reply from your side. 

No, VS didn't show any error while installing. Even while repairing (as I thought repairing it will do the work), it showed the success message.

I did as you suggested but it didn't help. Also, the command devenv /Resetaddin didn't work. It showed 'No such switch available.'

I can create VB projects, Xamarin projects, Visual C# (console) projects, Visual C++ Windows projects but can't create Visual C++ console or win32 projects (and those marked with the arrows in the following snapshot).

Here is the link to log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ-2JCxr31PhgEXhzRIUM7rZpQc

Thanks

• Edited by Tarunn Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:48 PM
    Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Hi Tarunn,

Thank you for your update.

Please try to delete or rename the following folders, then try to create new Visual C++ console or win32 projects again.

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 04, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hello Sara, 

I deleted both the folders and then opened VS. But even that didn't help. :/

Friday, November 04, 2016 11:24 AM
  • Hi Tarunn,

It looks like this issue is more related to the VS 2015 itself, please try to reinstall it using a healthy ISO file from Visual Studio Downloads. Before the next installation, please perform a complete uninstall of the existing VS 2015 as below, then reboot your computer. Make sure windows update is up-to-date, temporarily disable any anti-virus software, clean up the %temp% folder and run the installer as administrator.

You can try to use the forcibly command as described in here, after run the command, you can also try to manually removed the related folders and registry keys as below:

1. Rename or delete folders-

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2015
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon\14.0

2. Go to the registry editor (start >> run >> regedit) and remove/rename the following registries- (Please back up the registry table before the modification)

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0_Config

If the issue persists, I need your help to collect the installation logs. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 07, 2016 9:08 AM
  • Hi Sara,

I'll follow this as well but this one may take some time (a few days) because of my slow internet connection. I'll revert back after following the suggested steps. Please don't mark it solved till then.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Hello Sara,

I did as you suggested. Completed removed the VS and then installed it again. But I didn't find the Visual C++ template in the New Project.

So, I repaired the project but still I couldn't see it. Then finally I modified it and carefully checked the Programming Languages (C++ and Python). But Even now I can't see the Visual C++ template (Python template is present there, though).

Here's the vslog as you asked for if the problem persists: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ-2JCxr31PhgzBYZ71qmNVAGi8

This issue is really driving me crazy. :/

Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Hi Tarunn,

Thank you for your update. Since the Visual C++ is not the default component in VS 2015, you need to modify the VS and check the option of the custom component “Visual C++” under Programming Languages to install it like you found. I have checked your log file and it looks like there is no error message during the installation.

Please have a check with the VS default template store folder usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\VC and if it is existing, please try to install the VS templates using the /installvstemplates command:  devenv /InstallVSTemplates and reboot the computer and reopen VS to check it again.

Best regards,

Sara 

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:16 AM
  • Hi Sara,

I already had the VC folder and here are its subfolders:

Still, this is how the create project dialog looks like:

I also ran the devenv command as you suggested but to no avail. 

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hi Tarunn,

Please go to Control Panel--Programs and Features and right click the VS 2015 item and Change-Repair, after repair it, open VS and check this issue again.

If it not work, please follow the above step and check the option of Windows SDK which You can find it under Windows and Web Development->Universal Windows App Development Tools. Make sure the Windows 10 SDK is selected, then install them. If this installation is successful, please open VS and check the new VC++ templates.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 11, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Hello Sara,

I repaired it. At the end, it showed the following message. 

But it works now. Don't know what changed but it works now.

Thanks 

Saturday, November 12, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Hi Tarunn,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you very much for your sharing.

The above warning message often means the same version or higher version of the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64)/(x86) already installed, so the visual C++ 2015 redistributable (x64)/(x86)-14.0.24210 which shipped with the VS enterprise 2015 with update 3 cannot be installed, ii should no effect the usage of the Visual C++ development.

BTW, if you think your reply or my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer that will help other community members who have the same issue to easier search this solution.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:34 AM