DDE execute command to Excel 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I maintain an old and very complex software that create a excel worksheet using DDE to transfer data, picture and formatting cell (with X4LM standard).

With the latest version of Excel/Office (2016) the compatibility with X4LM command is broken in favor of VBA commands. I translate few macro to VBA without any problem, but when I attempt to exceute VBA command - e.g. [Application.WindowState = xlMaximized] instead of old [APP.MAXIMIZE()] - by DDE execute I receive always error 285 "Foreign application won't perform DDE Method or Operation".

How can i execute a VBA command (in Excel 2016) via DDE? What is the (if any) correct syntax?

Thanks

Regards

Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Excel features, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Excel

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exceldev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 5:50 AM
  • The program should be converted to use current technology. And I hear you saying, but I don't know how to do DDE and the program is not documented so I can't convert it. Well organizations should know that software must be documented. The longer they delay doing documentation and conversion the more it will cost.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hi Radosvet,

I test the code [Application.WindowState = xlMaximized] in VBA and it works well, where are you running the code? According to the error message, could you tell me what is the Application? Besides, as far as I know, there is no such syntax which could convert DDE command to VBA command.

Best Regards,

Terry

Friday, June 30, 2017 1:42 AM