none
general question - .net 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Had a vendor today that installed their software on Windows 10 workstation for managing some modern equipment.

I provided clean fully patched Windows 10... When he started the installation his soft asked for .NET 2 (!).

So I had to provide Internet connection for downloading this Jurassic park version of .NET...

And now I would like to ask forum... is it normal that in 2019 reputable vendor uses .NET 2 in his application?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi pob,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Indeed, .NET 2 is an old version of .NET Framework.

Since each new version of the .NET Framework retains features from the previous versions and adds new features, like you said, in 2019, we prefer to choose high version of .NET Framework to develop applications.

>> Is it normal that in 2019 reputable vendor uses .NET 2 in his application?

## Usually, old versions of application or maybe some old components of app that depend on the specified framework will need support of .NET Framework 2.0.

## This might depend on the application, if this application develops for a long time or inherits from some components depend on .NET Framework 2.0 (maybe hard for developers to migrate to high version of .NET Framework), this will be normal.

Hope all above could help you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:29 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed answer.

So I understand no real anomaly...

Does MS provide patches for .NET 2.

I monthly approve tons of patches for .Net 4+++

Theoretically, we should have a patch for .Net 2 if it is separately installed and not covered by 4.+.

What you will say?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 2:35 PM
  • Hi pob,

Thank you for your feedback.

I agree with you.

After I searched more, I find that support for .NET Framework 2.0 ended on July 12, 2011 and .NET 3.5 SP1 is the only supported service pack level after this date.

Like .NET Framework 3.5 covers .net framework 2.0 and 3.0, I mean .NET Framework versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 are built with the same version of the CLR (CLR 2.0). These versions represent successive layers of a single installation. Each version is built incrementally on top of the earlier versions. So Microsoft just need to provide support for .NET Framework 3.5. Same as .NET 4.X.

Not sure if this error message is noticed from application, but indeed higher version of .net will cover low version of .net.

You could also check .net framework 2.0 lifecycle from this link.

Any feedback would be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 25, 2019 10:04 AM
  • just to make it short...

can I conclude that apps still containing .net2 basically create a security "hole"?

Friday, November 8, 2019 12:00 PM