ServiceModel vs PeerToPeer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I put in a significant amount of hours now learning and working with elements exposed via the System.ServiceModel namespace, and it was only after quite a number of these hours that I even learned the System.Net.PeerToPeer namespace was available.

Alot, I would even go as far to say most, examples of using your new p2p technologies go about things using the ServiceModel members, specifically utilising ChannelFactory. Personally I have been using an DuplexChannelFactory with an NetPeerTcpBinding binding type configured to use the Pnrp resolver and with no security while testing up to now.

However, testing yields intermittent results when it comes to internet connectivity and resolution - I wont go into all of my problems about that here, if anyone wants to talk to me in that regard then fell free to contact me.

Basically I would like to know what the PeerToPeer namespace can offer me in terms of applying completely distributed systems. Do members of each namespace go hand in hand or is one to be chosen appropriately?

By taking a quick look, it seems members of the PeerToPeer namespace could complement that of ServiceModel - at very least access to the clouds allows to condition activity you may apply using, say, an DuplexChannelFactory.

Anyway, any information you would care to share would be great.

Thanks,

Grant
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:22 AM