none
NDIS 5.x Driver on Win2K/WinXP/Vista/Win7/Win8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Have a query about the support for Ndis 5.x drivers on all versions of Windows from XP to Windows 8, for which Iam not able to find clear answer on MSDN documentation.

As per below link's statement, it seems NDIS 5.x is not supported on Win 7 and later versions.
    "NDIS 5.x and earlier NDIS drivers will not be supported in Microsoft Windows versions after Windows 7. "
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff564741(v=vs.85).aspx

In same above link, there is a mention of Translation-Layer for compatibility of Ndis 5.x Drivers on Win 7 and later versions, which conveys that Ndis 5.x can work fine on Win 7.

My Queries:
    1. Am totally confused, whether we can have single NDIS driver, which can be installed in all flavors of Windows from XP through Win 8 or atleast for WinXP/Vista/Win 7 ?

2. If yes, what changes are to be done to driver to make it detect and work fine in Win 7? Any pointers would be highly helpful.

I've a XP-driver binary for a USB Adapter, which I tried to install on Windows 7. It installed fine, but didn't get listed in network-adapters and didn't show up in Wireless-Networks list. 

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Thanks

Deepu

• Edited by Deepu27 Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:47 PM

Answers

• NDIS 5.x is deprecated starting with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. This means we will remove NDIS 5.x from a future version of Windows. In fact, the future is already here: Windows 8.1 removes support for wireless NDIS 5.x drivers, although Ethernet remains functional in Windows 8.1. We will also not allow an NDIS 5.x driver to get a logo for Windows 8.

You should be able to get an NDIS 5.x driver to work on Windows 7, though. Check with a kernel debugger to see if something has gone wrong.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:37 PM