Windows 8 - Manual Wifi creation dont work

Question

• Running windows 8 preview on Acer W500, facing issue while connecting to my company external wifi network

Details: ckick on other network

enter SSID : <test> 

click username and password

enter user name

enter password

click ok

Issue: "screen comes back asking to click for username and password or certificate"

I am able to connedct to this SSID with my IPAD successfully, other wifi networks just fine, only manual network has issue (doesn't even come to a screen asking for WPA2 enterprise)

Prakash Heda | Sr Infrastructure DBA | Advent Software | http://www.sqlfeatures.com
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• My first suggestion would be to make sure that a compatible driver was installed for the wireless device. The drivers installed by windows during setup don't always work. I don't know what kind of chipset you have in the motherboard, but I know from experience that NVidia nforce chipsets don't work quite right with the Microsoft drivers. I always have to download them from Nvidia. Until proper chipset drivers are installed, some integrated hardware may not be recognized fully. If you go to the support website for your wireless device, I'm sure you'll notice there are no windows developer preview drivers available. Not a problem. Just use windows 7 drivers. If you have a driver disc that came with the PC, and it has windows 7 drivers for all integrated hardware, you should install them. I have run into a couple of instances where I had to open properties for a driver installer package and tell it to run in compatibility mode for windows 7, and Run as Administrator, but they worked fine after that. Hope this helps some. Sorry if it doesn't. 
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:19 AM
  • My first suggestion would be to make sure that a compatible driver was installed for the wireless device. 

I've had Windows 8 running on various hardware and I've had consistent problems with connecting at work, which is a hidden 802.1x network. I was finally able to get connected but the procedure I have to go through is slightly convoluted. 

I must alway s manually reconnect, the computer will not connect on it's own. I have to select "Other Network" and enter the name of the network. The computer will then prompt me for the WEP key (and there isn't a WEP key, I use my user name and password to connect). So I hit cancel. After that it may connect. If it doesn't I go through the procedure again. Eventually it connects. 

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 10:50 PM