none
Regarding Office Online Server (WOPI) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

If I have a requirement is to use the WOPI of OOS to customize the editing function for Office File such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint by using Mobile App on platform of iOS or Android. Is it possible to carry it out?? 

Hi there, if you found my comment very helpful then please | Propose as answer | . Thanks and Regards.

Friday, August 2, 2019 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hello Will H,
    Thank you for this question. One of our engineers will investigate this and follow-up soon.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Friday, August 2, 2019 4:20 PM
  • Hi Sreekanth Nadendla,

Thanks for your support. Because I found out when we would like to edit document lived in the OneDrive by using iPhone or other mobile phones, the OneDrive App will ask us to download Word App or Excel App for editing. But our client they don't want to download it.

Hi there, if you found my comment very helpful then please | Propose as answer | . Thanks and Regards.

Friday, August 2, 2019 4:26 PM
  • Hi Will, 

Office Online Server does not support editing sessions for the mobile clients. That is why the user is asked to download Word or Excel. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Monday, August 5, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your information. BUT if I use iPad, I could do it. iPad is the mobile client as well. so ...

WILL

Monday, August 5, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Hi Will,

The experience will depend on the browser *and* platform/device. Please refer to this article: 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/which-browsers-work-with-office-for-the-web-ad1303e0-a318-47aa-b409-d3a5eb44e452

In your specific case, iPad and iPhone experience is different. In both cases, the recommended experience is the Office for iPad or iPhone apps, not the browser.

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 12:53 AM
  • Hi Tom.

got it. but I have another issue is when we download the Office app for iPhone, and edit any document on it. Whether or not the app will save the temp file inside the device??? if yes, after that will the file be delete automatically??

WILL

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi Will, 

I don't know if it will always save a temp file or not and what the retention period for such a file would be.  You should likely take this up with the Office for iOS forum here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_mobile

This topic is out of scope for this forum as we deal only with the WOPI protocol implementation.

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:02 AM