none
change a SSMS Setting so that NULL values are displayed in a different colour

Question

•  Sql Server Management Studio V17.9.1

Workstation OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Version: 1803

Previously (i.e. before Windows 10) you could do this:

You can change the background color of "NULLS" within the grid section of SSMS by altering the color of 'Windows Tips' in the Personalization section under Control Panel for Windows.

When I try to find that under Windows 10 I can get to Personalise but under Background I don’t see a Windows Tips.

Did Microsoft move this option to some other obscure place???

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:32 PM

Answers

• When you say "before Windows 10", what do you mean exactly? I think I know what you are thinking of: the old style to set fonts and colours for various elements in Windows. I used this myself a lot, although I did not know that changing the background colour for tool tips affected NULLs in SSMS!

Anyway, this functionality was removed already in Windows 8.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, February 11, 2019 11:01 PM
  • Hi Murray,

I tested on my machine that the background for the Grid Results can’t be changed in SSMS. I changed the color on Tools menu > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors > Show settings for Grid Results > Item background. Based on my test, the color can't be configured in both SSMS 17.9.1 and 18.0.

Others have reported the issue to Microsoft feedback. https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32899987-cannot-change-gridresults-background-color

You can vote the feedback or create the new one in the Microsoft feedback website.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:43 AM

All replies

• When you say "before Windows 10", what do you mean exactly? I think I know what you are thinking of: the old style to set fonts and colours for various elements in Windows. I used this myself a lot, although I did not know that changing the background colour for tool tips affected NULLs in SSMS!

Anyway, this functionality was removed already in Windows 8.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, February 11, 2019 11:01 PM
  • Hi Murray,

I tested on my machine that the background for the Grid Results can’t be changed in SSMS. I changed the color on Tools menu > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors > Show settings for Grid Results > Item background. Based on my test, the color can't be configured in both SSMS 17.9.1 and 18.0.

Others have reported the issue to Microsoft feedback. https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32899987-cannot-change-gridresults-background-color

You can vote the feedback or create the new one in the Microsoft feedback website.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:43 AM