Finding source SQL server machine that initiates e-mail notification RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum area but it looked like the most fitting based on the description.

We receive mail notifications related to SQL daily - but they don't hold any data - I would like to stop them.

I know the generic mail account in the notification, but I am not sure where they are being sent from.

History: These were setup from someone that is no longer with the company, and these notifications do not specify a SQL server name.  It looks like a majority of all are referring to a result of a query.  The data results are empty - In most cases there is no data so I believe we should stop the notifications.

My thoughts are this:

Is there a powershell script that can locate all the SQL servers, and where should I look to first see where this may be setup and sending the alert from.

OR

Can Exchange 2010 track this down? Again sorry if I threw a different product in there but maybe this may be the easiest way to find the answer.

I appreciate the suggestions of where to look.

spc_1968

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Spc_1968,

It seems that someone has set your E-mail address as a SQL Server or other alerts receptor.

My thoughts are this:

Is there a powershell script that can locate all the SQL servers, and where should I look to first see where this may be setup and sending the alert from.

OR

Can Exchange 2010 track this down? Again sorry if I threw a different product in there but maybe this may be the easiest way to find the answer.

I'm afraid your requirement cannot be achieved. I would like suggest you to set these type of email as junk mail.

In SQL Server Side, you cannot locate a unknown SQL Server name. You also need a valid account to stop that mail sending. So, send a mail to the address which send these mail to you, describe what problems you meet will also be helpful.

Iric Wen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, November 19, 2012 9:14 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 8:35 AM