UpgradingPowerPivot reports built in Excel 2010 to Office 2016 Professional causes files to frequently lose data models RRS feed

• Question

• HI, I am hoping someone can help with this.

I have created a series of workbooks in Excel 2010 using PowerPivot. Upon upgrading to 2016, I seem to be running into an issue where the data model is lost after (1) upgrading the file (2) refreshing the data and (3) saving the file again. It has been quite annoying as i can update the data model once, but then it saves deleting the data model.

I am currently using Office 2016 Professional with the 32bit verison fo Excel. Would that be causing an issue?

Thanks

Friday, November 4, 2016 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Min123,

There are several aspects caused to upgrade Power Pivot Data Models to Excel 2013 or Excel 2016 failed. Please verify your data model and resolve the issue according the following solution, and check if it is successful.

1. Outdated and orphaned tables are not upgraded with the rest of the model, resulting in data deletion or unusable data. To avoid this problem, please ensure existing linked tables are associated with an existing source table in Excel.

2. Another upgrade issue applies only to Power Pivot data models based on Analysis Services cubes that support drillthrough actions. Please Delete each sheet that contains drillthrough query tables. You can recreate them after upgrading.

3. It will return an error if you created a workbook in Excel 2010 with a connection to an external data source. Please edit Connection and choose another one.

In addition, there are many difference in an upgraded model. Slicers and column descriptions no longer appear the Field List. And upgraded workbooks no longer work in a previous version of Excel and Power Pivot. For more details, please refer to this article.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

Monday, November 7, 2016 7:47 AM