centering the site in the browser RRS feed

• Question

• I don't mean to sound dumb but here goes:

After I create a site in Expressions and upload it, the site is on the left of my moniter with blank space on the right.  What setting should I be setting the monitor size at?  I would like the background to be equal on the screen with the site content in the middle.  To give you an example my site is: callerbrian.com .  I have looked at the site on a 20 inch or larger screen including a 27-30 inch screen

Thanks

Brian

Caller Brian

Friday, November 1, 2013 8:25 PM

Answers

• To center a page, you need 3 things:

1. A valid doctype, which your site doesn't have. This looks like an old FP site, given the code.

2. A fixed-width container for the site. Yours is a table of 955px--bad idea using a table for page layout, another old FP problem.

3. Left and right margins on the container set to auto.

Having said that, I see serious problems with your site. You don't have font-families specified, and the font you use is not web-safe. The fonts you specify have to be installed on the visitor's computer--Baskerville isn't. When I view the site on another machine, I see the site in the default font for that browser, and it's sans-serif, like Arial.

Search engines can't parse pages laid out with tables. Switch to a DIV-based layout for good search engine response.

The old FP menu buttons look weird with little white triangles aganist the blue background. And if a visitor has javascript disabled on their browser, they are completely dead in the water on your site--the navigation doesn't work and you have supplied no alternative that will work. Ditch the bloated old menus for a standard CSS menu that will work on any computer.

Your site will be compared to other sites that people visit, and it needs to look professional and up to date; It's your face to the world (and it's looking awfully dated).

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

• Proposed as answer by Bill Pearson Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by callerbrian Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:12 PM
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Hmm. Well, since he has apparently fixed the centering problem, it would be polite of him to mark my answer as the answer so that other people will see that the thread has been answered when they are searching for a similar problem.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:03 PM

All replies

• To center a page, you need 3 things:

1. A valid doctype, which your site doesn't have. This looks like an old FP site, given the code.

2. A fixed-width container for the site. Yours is a table of 955px--bad idea using a table for page layout, another old FP problem.

3. Left and right margins on the container set to auto.

Having said that, I see serious problems with your site. You don't have font-families specified, and the font you use is not web-safe. The fonts you specify have to be installed on the visitor's computer--Baskerville isn't. When I view the site on another machine, I see the site in the default font for that browser, and it's sans-serif, like Arial.

Search engines can't parse pages laid out with tables. Switch to a DIV-based layout for good search engine response.

The old FP menu buttons look weird with little white triangles aganist the blue background. And if a visitor has javascript disabled on their browser, they are completely dead in the water on your site--the navigation doesn't work and you have supplied no alternative that will work. Ditch the bloated old menus for a standard CSS menu that will work on any computer.

Your site will be compared to other sites that people visit, and it needs to look professional and up to date; It's your face to the world (and it's looking awfully dated).

• Proposed as answer by Bill Pearson Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:03 PM
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Frustrating, isn’t it? I see you got the "centering" problem taken care of, but like the other answer, use CSS instead of tables. The button thing, make the button GIF instead of JPG and then the background becomes transparent!

Not sure how deep you want to get and how much time you want to devote, but highly recommend Moten Rand-Hendriksen, Sams Teach Yourself Expression Web 4 in 24hours.

This book is terrific and will teach you everything you want to know about the beast!

Good luck

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Hmm. Well, since he has apparently fixed the centering problem, it would be polite of him to mark my answer as the answer so that other people will see that the thread has been answered when they are searching for a similar problem.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:03 PM