none
Can i use SQL DB offline and online

Question

• Hello,

I need to know how can i use SQL DB Read and Write offline on online,

For Example, 

I have a VB.Net Application with SQL DB, I hosted the Main DB in my Home PC, then i use My Application in my laptop. if some time there is no internet i need to use my laptop application without any interruption. but soon as laptop connect the internet then main DB should update and laptop application work with Main DB 

i need to know is there any learning source for learn how to do this. IDK how to search on internet about this 

(when offline works with local sql db when online update the main db and works with main db as normal) 

thanks 

RohanD

Monday, May 07, 2018 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

•  So there are two databases or just one ? Who else may update  the main database on your pc?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:45 AM
  • Hello,

You can e.g. use SQL Server Replication to sync data between your Laptop and your Workstation.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Hello,

I need to know how can i use SQL DB Read and Write offline on online,

For Example, 

I have a VB.Net Application with SQL DB, I hosted the Main DB in my Home PC, then i use My Application in my laptop. if some time there is no internet i need to use my laptop application without any interruption. but soon as laptop connect the internet then main DB should update and laptop application work with Main DB 

i need to know is there any learning source for learn how to do this. IDK how to search on internet about this 

(when offline works with local sql db when online update the main db and works with main db as normal) 

thanks 

RohanD

There is no inbuilt mechanism in SQL Server for you are asking, and also to achieve what you want to need to have two copied of database. One local on you laptop and other at your home. The local must update home and also home must be able to update local and that I believe can be done by transnational replication with updateble subscription. 

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 8:29 AM
  • It's one DB, the original DB in my home PC and copy in my laptop. no one can update main DB manually but the application users can updated the DB using application. i need solution for work offline in application and soon as application online then backup the main DB in Home PC

RohanD

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 10:47 AM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-mobile/app-service-mobile-offline-data-sync

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 10:57 AM
  • thanks for reply. but is this works with Azure Mobile Apps?

RohanD

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 11:02 AM