none
Debugging an Outlook Add-In with WinDbg.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Can WinDbg.exe be used to debug an Outlook Add-In?

I've attached to the Outlook.exe process using WinDbg.exe, and have generated calls that my add-in would respond to, but I don't see anything special in the WinDbg window. 

Specifically, I'm looking to track things like the creation of COM objects, and their subsequent release through ReleaseComObject.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:57 PM

Answers

• Hi GermanH,

I made a test with WinDbg.exe, and I could get the same result. I am afraid WinDbg.exe is not used for Outlook Addin.

>>I'm looking to track things like the creation of COM objects, and their subsequent release through ReleaseComObject.

In my option, there is no tools to track Com objects in Office Add-ins. I would suggest you pay attention when you create objects and release them when there is no need to use it.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi GermanH,

I made a test with WinDbg.exe, and I could get the same result. I am afraid WinDbg.exe is not used for Outlook Addin.

>>I'm looking to track things like the creation of COM objects, and their subsequent release through ReleaseComObject.

In my option, there is no tools to track Com objects in Office Add-ins. I would suggest you pay attention when you create objects and release them when there is no need to use it.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:17 AM
  • Fair enough.  However, I guess my question becomes WHEN can you release RCWs.  This is not always clear.

I'll address the question in a different thread.

Thanks for your response.
    Monday, January 23, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Hi GermanH,

Sorry for less help, if you have any other issues, please feel free to post in this forum.

If there is no other issue, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer to close this thread.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:40 AM