How to export DBML images to a file without opening VS (in code)? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure what forum this should go in, so posted it here. I have a project that uses several DBML files. I would like to be able to write a small command line app that opens a DBML file and generates the image and saves the file. I've seen this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee329477.aspx but that seems to be for a specific type of project. I just want to read the DBML in a normal project and get the image without having to launch VS. Is this possible? Thanks!!
    --ACG
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi ACG,

If I understand the issue correctly, you want to read the DBML files programmatically.  However, I did not quite understand how do you want to generate the images?  Do you mean generating the db class diagram image like the LINQ to SQL O/R designer does?   If so, I think it's quite hard to realize since we need to implement the logic of the O/R designer.   Could you please let us know the detailed background of this request?   Maybe we have some other workarounds for it.

Good day!

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:12 AM

All replies

• DBML is actually LINQ to SQL.

Check the link below.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386976.aspx

chanmm

chanmm
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hi ACG,

If I understand the issue correctly, you want to read the DBML files programmatically.  However, I did not quite understand how do you want to generate the images?  Do you mean generating the db class diagram image like the LINQ to SQL O/R designer does?   If so, I think it's quite hard to realize since we need to implement the logic of the O/R designer.   Could you please let us know the detailed background of this request?   Maybe we have some other workarounds for it.

Good day!

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Hi ACG,

Could you please let us know how's the problem now?  If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Monday, December 12, 2011 2:09 AM