Supported platform RRS feed

• Question

• According to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6D94E307-67D9-41AC-B2D6-0074D6286FA9&displaylang=en The supported operating systems for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SDK are: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP.

After downloading and installing, I attempted to create a new "SharePoint 2007 Sequential Workflow" project. I received an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" message.

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160738.aspx "
    To use the SharePoint workflow project templates, you must install Visual Studio Tools for Office on a computer that runs an operating system that supports SharePoint Server 2007. If the operating system does not support SharePoint Server, or SharePoint Server is not installed, the Visual Studio Setup program will install the SharePoint workflow project templates, but you will not be able to use them".

Doesn't that indicate that Windows Vista and Windows XP should be removed from the supported operating systems for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SDK? At a minimum shouldn't there be a list of which features are supported by what OS be included in the supported operating systems section of the Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SDK page? Am I using the wrong definition of supported?

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Based on my understanding, the reason why Windows Vista and Windows XP are listed in the supported platform of SharePoint SDK is because that both of them could run the SharePoint SDK documents and view related source code if proper development tool is installed.

The custom SharePoint workflow needs to be deployed into a real SharePoint farm before running. To develop a SharePoint solution in a client operating system, you need to include necessary references, for example Microsoft.SharePoint into the development environment.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lionel

Friday, March 20, 2009 7:48 AM